That was a shocker. Well deserved, but a shocker nevertheless. Misfits, the superpowered drama from relatively tiny channel E4 bagged Best Drama Series at the BAFTA awards last night, beating the mighty BBC at what is usually their speciality, including the favourite, Jimmy McGovern’s The Street, spy thriller Spooks and genre breakthrough Being Human.
But this teen drama full of foul language, gratuitous nudity and orange jumpsuits beat all contenders to the prize. The cast seemed remarkably surprised, as were many – but more of a delighted surprise. This is the kind of show that doesn’t win BAFTAs, despite being loved by many. Basically, this is like Buffy winning an Emmy in its first year.
Bleeding Cool has gone on about Misfits, ooh, a few times since it first aired last November – indeed, it’s possible the site broke the very existence of the show. And with a new series shooting now, to air this November, it couldn’t have come at a better time for the team.
And non-Brits, if you haven’t seen Misfits, it’s well worth buying a multiregion DVD player for.
- J. Scott Campbell Art for Upcoming X-Men Black Magneto Comic to Be Announced at San Diego - July 16, 2018
- Hellboy Celebrates 25 Years of San Diego Comic-Cons - July 16, 2018
- Valiant Fans Express Financial Worries Over Chinese Owners DMG Entertainment - July 16, 2018
- Duncan Jones’s Comic Book Movie Confirmed: Rogue Trooper of 2000AD - July 16, 2018
- Amazon Prime Day Hits the UK – Here Are Some Deals to Keep Your Eye On - July 16, 2018