That was a shocker. Well deserved, but a shocker nevertheless. Misfits, the superpowered drama from relatively tiny channel E4 bagged Best Drama Series at the BAFTA awards last night, beating the mighty BBC at what is usually their speciality, including the favourite, Jimmy McGovern’s The Street, spy thriller Spooks and genre breakthrough Being Human.
But this teen drama full of foul language, gratuitous nudity and orange jumpsuits beat all contenders to the prize. The cast seemed remarkably surprised, as were many – but more of a delighted surprise. This is the kind of show that doesn’t win BAFTAs, despite being loved by many. Basically, this is like Buffy winning an Emmy in its first year.
Bleeding Cool has gone on about Misfits, ooh, a few times since it first aired last November – indeed, it’s possible the site broke the very existence of the show. And with a new series shooting now, to air this November, it couldn’t have come at a better time for the team.
And non-Brits, if you haven’t seen Misfits, it’s well worth buying a multiregion DVD player for.
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Finale Previewed at Wondercon on Friday - March 19, 2018
- Skybound Launches Joseph Keatinge and Bret Blevins’ Stellar in June from Image Comics - March 19, 2018
- DC Comics Confirms Scott Snyder, Jim Cheung, Jorge Jiménez’ Justice League – With Alexandro Sanchez Too - March 19, 2018
- June 13th is Dalrymple Day – When Image Comics Publishes Both ‘Proxima Centauri’ AND ‘It Will All Hurt’ - March 19, 2018
- Sonic #1 Goes On Sale at Wondercon Two Weeks Ahead of Comic Shops - March 19, 2018