That was a shocker. Well deserved, but a shocker nevertheless. Misfits, the superpowered drama from relatively tiny channel E4 bagged Best Drama Series at the BAFTA awards last night, beating the mighty BBC at what is usually their speciality, including the favourite, Jimmy McGovern’s The Street, spy thriller Spooks and genre breakthrough Being Human.
But this teen drama full of foul language, gratuitous nudity and orange jumpsuits beat all contenders to the prize. The cast seemed remarkably surprised, as were many – but more of a delighted surprise. This is the kind of show that doesn’t win BAFTAs, despite being loved by many. Basically, this is like Buffy winning an Emmy in its first year.
Bleeding Cool has gone on about Misfits, ooh, a few times since it first aired last November – indeed, it’s possible the site broke the very existence of the show. And with a new series shooting now, to air this November, it couldn’t have come at a better time for the team.
And non-Brits, if you haven’t seen Misfits, it’s well worth buying a multiregion DVD player for.
- Humberto Ramos to Alternate with Ryan Ottley on Amazing Spider-Man – and More - July 20, 2018
- Marvel Comics’ New Logo for 2019 – Their 80th Anniversary - July 20, 2018
- Donny Cates on the Future of Venom, Carnage Born, and That Dog - July 20, 2018
- Donny Cates to Relaunch Marvel Knights: MK20 - July 20, 2018
- Fantastic Four #1 Has Orders of Over Fantastic 400,000 - July 20, 2018