Comixology has, despite may competitors, proved itself to be the leading paid comics reading software on the iPhone and iPad. Favoured by Marvel, it’s roots go deep. And now it’s making a jump to the PC. If you’ve bought a book on another device, you’ll be able to read it here – with the exception of Marvel. Well, it is Beta.
So the first thing I do is check if any of mine are up. No, no Flying Friar from Markosia, no sign of Brain Scan.
The comics are priced at 99c and $1.99 that I can see, and there’s a batch of free comics too.
I check out Elephantmen #4.5. There’s double page spreads and a guided panel-by-panel view. So it works. It’s smooth. Can’t see a way to turn it on its side, which has the effect of turning any digital comic into the Absolute version of itself. Maybe I’ve pressed the wrong button.
I check out the new issue of the Walking Dead. I say new, it’s six months behind the print schedule. And yes, it works and works well.
I just realise I read it for free because I’m press and wonder if this constitutes piracy?
Basically, yes, it works and I’m happy to read comics on a computer like this. It feels less finicky than Longbox, there’s no download necessary and the front page isn’t covered by CBR reports.
Of course the problem is the publishers who aren’t here. Marvel prefer to keep their comics to themselves on PCs. DC aren’t anywhere of course. IDW have their own system. And naturally Image is very spotty. No Avatar either, tut.
So, slick software aside, whoever sorts all that out will be the one will the killer app…
- Tying Up One Of Those Civil War II Hanging Threads In Today’s Ultimates 2… - April 26, 2017
- DC Comics Ch-Ch-Changes – Hal, Hell And Harley - April 26, 2017
- Another Fake Jack Kirby Page Sells For Over $2000 On eBay - April 26, 2017
- Adult Swim Confirms That Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter Is Returning In May - April 26, 2017
- A Comic Store In Your Future – Guardians 2 Will Be A Smash. The Comics, Not So Much. - April 26, 2017