Comixology has, despite may competitors, proved itself to be the leading paid comics reading software on the iPhone and iPad. Favoured by Marvel, it’s roots go deep. And now it’s making a jump to the PC. If you’ve bought a book on another device, you’ll be able to read it here – with the exception of Marvel. Well, it is Beta.
So the first thing I do is check if any of mine are up. No, no Flying Friar from Markosia, no sign of Brain Scan.
The comics are priced at 99c and $1.99 that I can see, and there’s a batch of free comics too.
I check out Elephantmen #4.5. There’s double page spreads and a guided panel-by-panel view. So it works. It’s smooth. Can’t see a way to turn it on its side, which has the effect of turning any digital comic into the Absolute version of itself. Maybe I’ve pressed the wrong button.
I check out the new issue of the Walking Dead. I say new, it’s six months behind the print schedule. And yes, it works and works well.
I just realise I read it for free because I’m press and wonder if this constitutes piracy?
Basically, yes, it works and I’m happy to read comics on a computer like this. It feels less finicky than Longbox, there’s no download necessary and the front page isn’t covered by CBR reports.
Of course the problem is the publishers who aren’t here. Marvel prefer to keep their comics to themselves on PCs. DC aren’t anywhere of course. IDW have their own system. And naturally Image is very spotty. No Avatar either, tut.
So, slick software aside, whoever sorts all that out will be the one will the killer app…
- Preview Of Greg Pak And Takeshi Miyazawa’s Mech Cadet Yu #2 A Month Ahead - August 21, 2017
- Liam Sharp, Your Metal Collaborator Is Bryan Hitch! 14 Things We Noticed In DC’s November 2017 Solicits - August 21, 2017
- Full DC Comics November 2017 Solicits, As Dr Manhattan Creates Superman… - August 21, 2017
- Everything You Know About The Other Steve Rogers Was Wrong – Secret Empire #9 Spoilers - August 21, 2017
- LEAKED: The Doomsday Clock Lenticular Cover Shows The Trinity, Via Rorschach’s Face - August 21, 2017