Of the forty-two books from the DC Universe solicited for August, twenty-eight are $2.99, thirteen are $3.99 and one is $4.99
All three Cartoon Network books are priced as $2.99. There are fifteen Vertigo $2.99 books and one $3.99 straggler. And Wildstorm have nine $2.99 books and four $3.99.
So, of the standard DC Superhero comics, two thirds are priced at $2.99. Of the publishers entire line, its almost three-quarters. For DC, $2.99 is the norm, and most (but not all) $3.99 books have extra content
But of Marvel’s superhero line fifty-seven are $3.99, 26 are $2.99 and 3 are $4.99.
There are two MAX books, one at $3.99, one at $4.99
Or their licensed titles, such as the Stephen King and Dabel Bros books, all six are $3.99
And at Icon, two books (the Mark Millar ones) are at $2.99, Powers is at $3.95, Casanova is $3.99 and Dream Logic is $5.99
Only 30% of Marvel’s superhero line are prices at $2.99. Of the publisher’s entire line, less than 28% are at $2.99. And of the $3.99 books, there is rarely any extra content.
It’s quite conceivable that, the way things are going, the only $2.99 books at Marvel will be Kick Ass, Nemesis and the upcoming Millar/Leinel Yu book as Icon creators can set prices with a greater degree of flexibility.
And whyshould Marvel do any different? Their prices are up and sales are down – but sales are down everywhere, $2.99 or $3.99. If there was a greater demand for $2.99 books then DC would have an increasing share of the market.
And they don’t. If anything, it’s dropping. And Marvel’s in increasing…
- Reviewing By The Numbers: A Tarnished Tintin For Grown Ups - January 22, 2017
- More Comics Folk Attend Anti-Trump Women’s Marches Around The World #WomensMarch - January 21, 2017
- James Hudnall Pleads For His Friends To Give Trump A Chance - January 21, 2017
- Comics Folk React To (Or Are Part Of) The Women’s Marches Against Donald Trump - January 21, 2017
- Peter Capaldi Joins The Anti-Trump Women’s March In London – Potential Spoiler For The 13th Doctor? - January 21, 2017