This was probably as good a time to sell as any.
The original art for the cover to Daredevil #188 by Frank Miller, featuring Daredevil caught in a web from the Black Widow (as seen in the recent Iron Man 2 movie) has just sold at auction for $101,575, a truly staggering sum for a relatively recent piece of comic book art, published in 1982.
The auction house Heritage Auction Galleries listed the piece, describing it thus;
The Black Widow has a desperate grasp on Matt Murdock in this hauntingly memorable cover illustration by Frank Miller from his groundbreaking run on the series that thrust him into Marvel superstardom. At once menacing and intricately beautiful, Miller spins a fascinating design, with the intricate lacing white line work juxtaposed against stark black shapes. Miller’s Daredevil run is universally considered one of the true high spots in all of comics history, and covers from the series are extremely rare in the marketplace. This one is all-Miller, all original art with no stats, and indisputably one of the top images from the great artist’s peak period. Simply put, this cover has it all. The art has an image area of 9.75″ x 15″, and its condition is Excellent.
Boyfriend of Kimberly Cox, Frank Miller is famed for his harsh gritty comic books and a debeloping style that’s concentrated on complex black and white patterns of light and shadow, A number of his comics have been made into films – and the rest are likely to be. Indeed, with his name on the titles of 300 and Sin City, Miller is likely to be one of the few comic creators more likely to be known to the general public, if only by association.
And if any of you are hanging onto your own original pieces of Frank Miller artwork, maybe this is the sale that will tempt you to contact your nearest auction house…
- Comixology Bestseller List – 22nd June 2018 – Marvel Inching Their Way Back In - June 22, 2018
- Self Made Hero Brings Ramones, and Nick Cave to Comic Stores in September 2018 Solicits - June 22, 2018
- A Third Nameless City from Faith Erin Hicks in First: Second September 2018 Solicits - June 22, 2018
- As Nancy In Hell Concludes, Amigo Comics Launches Phantasmagoria in September 2018 Solicits - June 22, 2018
- DC Comics to Lose the Gloss? Colourists Take Care - June 22, 2018