Fantagraphics, publishers of the likes of Love And Rockets, Hate and Eightball, are launching a new manga line, starting with a short story anthology A Drunken Dream by Moto Hagio in December. Hagio is described as “the most beloved shōjo manga artist of all time” — young girl’s comics – and a founder of shōnen-ai – young male gay romance comics for young girls. This collection includes work across Hagio’s forty-year career as a radical manga artist and creator. Moto Hagio will attend San Diego for the first time this year to promote the book and her work.
In December, Fantagraphics will start publishing and a multi-volume series from Takako Shimura,the trans-gender exploratory manga Wandering Son, staring Shichi, a boy who wants to be a girl and Yoshino, a girl who wants to be a boy.
Fantagraphics are a publisher that have widened the concept of comics for the American audience, launching the careers of many famous creators, and seem to take an iconoclastic approach to comic book publishing.
Trust them then, to move into manga well after its peak, as the sector begins to decline… it’s probably what Gary Groth ideally wished for.
- Let’s All Watch Frank Miller And Klaus Janson Talk Will Eisner For Over An Hour - April 30, 2017
- Moving The Needle – Bleeding Cool’s Top 11 Hottest Writers, April 2017 - April 30, 2017
- Moving The Needle – Bleeding Cool’s Top 11 Hottest Artists, April 2017 - April 30, 2017
- Who’s Behind The Vault Door In Doctor Who Series Ten? (VIDEO) - April 30, 2017
- Lying In The Gutters 30th April 2017 – I Like Big Bids And I Cannot Lie - April 30, 2017