Fantagraphics, publishers of the likes of Love And Rockets, Hate and Eightball, are launching a new manga line, starting with a short story anthology A Drunken Dream by Moto Hagio in December. Hagio is described as “the most beloved shōjo manga artist of all time” — young girl’s comics – and a founder of shōnen-ai – young male gay romance comics for young girls. This collection includes work across Hagio’s forty-year career as a radical manga artist and creator. Moto Hagio will attend San Diego for the first time this year to promote the book and her work.
In December, Fantagraphics will start publishing and a multi-volume series from Takako Shimura,the trans-gender exploratory manga Wandering Son, staring Shichi, a boy who wants to be a girl and Yoshino, a girl who wants to be a boy.
Fantagraphics are a publisher that have widened the concept of comics for the American audience, launching the careers of many famous creators, and seem to take an iconoclastic approach to comic book publishing.
Trust them then, to move into manga well after its peak, as the sector begins to decline… it’s probably what Gary Groth ideally wished for.
- Green Lanterns #40 – “No Politics, No Complications” - January 23, 2018
- Showrunner of Lucifer Teams with Lucifer Artist for Skyward from Image Comics - January 23, 2018
- Now You Can Buy Star Wars Porg Sneakers – but Are They Made from Porgs? We Find Out - January 23, 2018
- Northguard Season 2 #1 and #2 Both Published Tomorrow – Here’s a Preview of Both - January 23, 2018
- 24-Page Preview of Telepathetic #1, Another of Sitcomics’ 64-Page $3.99 Comics - January 23, 2018