Fantagraphics, publishers of the likes of Love And Rockets, Hate and Eightball, are launching a new manga line, starting with a short story anthology A Drunken Dream by Moto Hagio in December. Hagio is described as “the most beloved shōjo manga artist of all time” — young girl’s comics – and a founder of shōnen-ai – young male gay romance comics for young girls. This collection includes work across Hagio’s forty-year career as a radical manga artist and creator. Moto Hagio will attend San Diego for the first time this year to promote the book and her work.
In December, Fantagraphics will start publishing and a multi-volume series from Takako Shimura,the trans-gender exploratory manga Wandering Son, staring Shichi, a boy who wants to be a girl and Yoshino, a girl who wants to be a boy.
Fantagraphics are a publisher that have widened the concept of comics for the American audience, launching the careers of many famous creators, and seem to take an iconoclastic approach to comic book publishing.
Trust them then, to move into manga well after its peak, as the sector begins to decline… it’s probably what Gary Groth ideally wished for.
- Geek Food: The Lich King Ice Cream At San Diego Comic-Con - July 23, 2017
- Dan DiDio Reveals The Secret Origins Of The Comic Creators – And The Fans – At San Diego Comic-Con - July 23, 2017
- The First Thirteenth Doctor Cosplay At San Diego Comic-Con…Is By A Man - July 23, 2017
- David Duchovny Says He Had Difficulty Voice Acting For X-Files Audible Series - July 23, 2017
- First Look At The Doctor Who Christmas Special – And A Look Back At Peter Capaldi’s Time As The doctor - July 23, 2017