It was a story I ran quite a while ago. That comic book and fantasy writer Neil Gaiman was to write an upcoming episode of the decades-running British sci-fi TV Doctor Who.
And then when the list of 2010 writers was released with Neil Gaiman’s name absent I was called a proper charlie by all sorts of folks. Or words to that effect.
Well, Neil Gaiman has just won an award for his Batman comic at the SFX Awards 2010, presented at the SFX Weekender convention. And Neil just tweeted;
I tried videoing acceptance speeches yesterday but the sound was bad, so they read them out instead. Also I gave them a scoop
That scoop is that he has indeed written an upcoming episode of Doctor Who. It is it to air in 14 months, in 2011.
I understand that although Gaiman initially wrote the episode for the 2010 series, budgetary reasons saw it bumped to the following year. So we might also expect a bit of an effects extravaganza to boot…
UPDATE: Neil Gaiman’s words were;
Over the years SFX, and its readers and their votes in the polls, have always been very kind to me. I thought I’d return the favour with what used to be called, in journalistic circles when I was a boy, a scoop.
As anyone who’s read my blog knows, I’m a big fan of a certain long-running British SF TV series. One that started watching — from behind the sofa — when I was three. And while I know it’s cruel to make you wait for things, in about 14 months from now, which is to say, NOT in the upcoming season but early in the one after that, it’s quite possible that I might have written an episode. And if I had, it would originally have been called “The House of Nothing”. But it definitely isn’t called that any more.
Countdown. You’ve got about 14 months.
Scoop schmoop. I had it in March 2008. Smiley face.
Unless of course it’s Red Dwarf.
- DC Comics to Ship Batman: Damned with Special Care to Prevent Damages - August 15, 2018
- Die!Die!Die! #2 is Out Next Wednesday, #3 Out on 26th September - August 15, 2018
- DC Comics to Start a Nuclear War Against Christmas with the Nuclear Winter Special 2018 - August 15, 2018
- J. Scott Campbell, Women Readers, and Dogpiling on Critics - August 15, 2018
- Limited Edition Polybagged Black Badge #1 Sent to Key Influencers… Bleeding Cool Not Included - August 15, 2018