And for several years Jennifer Contino has been writing news reports for the site. However, I understand she has now left Comicon.com, owed a tidy sum of money going back many months.
Set up by Steve Conley and Rick Veitch in 1998, Comicon.com was intended to be the online equivalent of a comic book convention, offering many creators and publishers their own booth space at a time when creating your own web page was hurdle enough. Comicon enjoyed early popularity and for a time was the leading comic book website in the industry. But other sites grew in different directions, found funding and new audiences. Against the growth of Comic Book Resources or the funding of Comics Alliance, Comicon seemed to wilt.
As it stands, the news section of the site is receiving rare posts, and Contino’s last post was in mid- January. However it’s worth noting the message board is still the hive of activity is has always been.
The item that owners of Comicon.com are sitting on that might really guarantee a payday is the domain name itself. Since it was first registered, San Diego Comic Con has become a truly mighty force in pop culture, and Wizard seem to be throwing their money at any random city to gain ownership of the term as well. And Reed would be interested, I’m sure. High six figures… or maybe seven?
But for now, if anyone is looking for a hard working reporter with a tonne of experience and contacts in the comic book industry, reaching out to Jen Contino might well be in your interest.
- Full Image Comics September 2018 Solicitations – Launching Bully Wars, Man-Eaters, MCMLXXV, Burnouts, Cemetery Beach and OGNs Green Monk, HCHOM, Me The People and My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies - June 19, 2018
- The X-Men Gold #30 Wedding Twist Was Not Marc Guggenheim’s Idea (SPOILERS) - June 19, 2018
- Exclusive: Gallery 13 Grab Stephen King’s The Dark Tower Graphic Novel Rights from Marvel - June 19, 2018
- Marvel, DC and Others Persuade Comic Stores to Put Spinner Racks in Other Businesses - June 19, 2018
- Chris Hastings and Salva Espin do Deadpool as James Bond For Digital-First Comic, Secret Agent Deadpool - June 19, 2018