I ran the story two days ago after getting confirmation from a number of people that, yes, this was a plan at DC Comics. And since publication, more in the comics creative and support community have emailed privately to confirm their knowledge of such a project. To create a number of Watchmen prequel/sequel comics, in an attempt to maximise Watchmen brand revenue, while trying to maintain its integrity. But no one I talk to will allow their names or even quotes to be used. It seems to be seen as either the golden goose or the deepest shame. Sometimes both. And lips were, publically at least, sealed.
Had a few discussions and I’m actually quite surprised at the name attached. The person’s got a much bigger set than I thought he had. Might be an interesting way to say goodbye to working in comics in transition to working elsewhere.
When questioned further, Pace clarified;
Well, it only exists as far as one person might be writing it right now and no one else is attached in any creative capacity. That being said, it could easily turn to vapour at a moment’s turn to sanity.
Pace later amended his last post to add;
the people I’ve talked to are specifically not involved in any project of this sort — everyone is being real careful about what they’re saying right now. The first person I talked to last night tied themselves in knots trying to neither confirm nor deny. The second was more forthcoming, but certainly wasn’t in the room, so to speak. The third said simply, “Yeah, but I ain’t talking about it”. My gut feeling even after all the discussion is that this could just be the sort of thing no one wants to admit they’re not in the loop on even if it’s just an option being discussed and nothing more.
Pace’s experiences seem to mirror my own, though it seems he knows more than he’s telling. Naturally I’ll be digging further. But it could be days, weeks, months, years for the next show to drop.
And just for fun, the Attack of The Show segment from yesterday that mentioned the original report.
- Watchmen Lenticular Covers For Batman And Flash “The Button” Story Won’t Be In Previews – Retailers Have To Order Now - January 18, 2017
- Justice League/Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1 Gets A Nice New Cover For Its Second Print… - January 18, 2017
- Looks Like Captain Marvel Was Right About Civil War II – But Has The US President Abandoned Her? - January 18, 2017
- DC Comics’ New Gay Superhero, The Ray – In His Own Words - January 18, 2017
- Valiant Goes To Space – Six Pages From X-O Manowar #1 - January 18, 2017