I love the theory of simultaneous evolution. That sometimes things happen that seem so linked but that are clearly seperate in origin. And it’s true in comics. Swamp Thing/Man Thing, X-Men/Doom Patrol, UK Dennis The Menace/US Dennis The Menace, Death/Return Of Captain America/Death/Return of Batman, Blackest Night/Necrosha, it’s all there.
Well, add one to the list. Kick-Ass and Doméstico.
Both creator owned books, Doméstico was published in Argentina, May 2007. Kick-Ass in the USA, April 2008, although its origins were set up well before. Too close for any influence.
Doméstico, by Sebastián DeCaro and Diego Greco (Bad Dog), is about a regular guy that escapes from an asylum and decides to create his own super-hero costume, green with yellow stripes to impress his former girlfriend. The first night he goes out, he gets really beaten up.
Kick-Ass is about a regular guy driven mad by school who decides to create his own super-hero costume, green with yellow stripes, to become a superhero (and in the process impress a girl) The first night he goes out, he gets really beaten up.
And weirder still? The upcoming film’s version of Kick-Ass has different hair than in the comic and has a mask with a face hole. And looks even more like Doméstico!
Simultaneous evolution. Don’tcha love it?
- Tomorrow’s Comics Today With Generations Thor And Nightwing’s New Order – A Comic Show - August 22, 2017
- Chuck Dixon – The Most Published Comic Book Writer Of All Time? 40,000 Pages On September 6th - August 22, 2017
- Tomorrow’s Generations: The Thors Will Properly Tie In With Marvel Legacy #1. Honest. - August 22, 2017
- Image Comics Full November 2017 Solicits Launch Void Trip, Port Of Earth, No 1 With A Bullet, Coyotes, Dark Fang, Gravediggers Union - August 22, 2017
- Win One Of Three Tickets To The First-Ever Crunchyroll Expo - August 22, 2017