Those Long Beach Comic Con freelancers are a gossipy lot. Away from their corporate masters, giddy with a mix of fear and excitement over the coming changes at Marvel and DC, they tend to talk, gossip, exaggerate and compare notes. And then email me.
So, with the best will in the world, and a modicum of fact checking that dropped out a few stray ends, here’s what I’ve been hearing about certain DC plans next year.
Well Geoff Johns announced that he and Francis Manapul will be on Flash, I understand that Johns will stay on Green Lantern that he will head up a new core Justice League Of America title to be announced shortly. So while Geoff keeps control over the League and two of its members, friend and colleague Grant Morrison will be keeping the others in check, continuing a monthly Batman book but also adding a Superman and Wonder Woman book to the mix, for the full Trinity set.
With Geoff and Grant at the centre of the DC Universe, expect trusted writers like Pete Tomasi (coming off The Outsiders, replaced by Dan DiDio) to take on the secondary characters, keeping the central thrust of the DC Universe consistent and coherent. No more problems with repeated New God deaths… just the Geoff and Grant show, writ large.
If true, it’s a bold new creator-driven approach from DC, learning from Final Crisis and building on Blackest Night, reminiscent of moves made by Marvel in the past to great success.
And the message is this. Look out Marvel… after all, you did quite well out of putting an American and a Scot in creative lead positions.
- Action Lab Announces Zombie Tramp, Vampblade And Dollface Crossover -The Danger Doll Squad - April 27, 2017
- Animal Jam Comic To Come With Free Stickers - April 27, 2017
- Fan Expo Buys Calgary Expo, To Add To Its Collection Of Comic Cons? - April 27, 2017
- Secret Empire #2 Tops Advance Reorders - April 27, 2017
- Action Lab Puts Five Million Comics In The Classroom, Announces Kid Sherlock, Albert Einstein: Time Mason, Stray, Midnight Tiger And The Ghost, The Owl - April 27, 2017