Lets be frank, I’m not here for the hack and the slash. It would be easy to criticise the fight scenes as being, well, fight scenes, they’re not particularly original, but then what fight scenes are? There are some specific tropes here, a sharp object stuck inside someone must be then used against someone later, but then a comic like Hack/Slash about and built around serial killer can get away with such recycling. It’s all meta isn’t it?
But it’s the actual moments of personal contact that make this comic work at its best. The pauses. The beasts. One man talking to his “dog”. Another sitting at a barstool who gets given a bar to tend and thanks his saints. It’s Whedonesque in a good way and really helps break up the slaughter.
And this issue is a culmination of a lot of Hack/Slash plots, with a batch of monsters thrown intogether with a conspiracy cabal plot that brings in so many references – and a lot more than the obvious Dollhouse as events reach a crescendo and, just as blood and guts are exposed, so are internal desires and motivations of the main characters. Which are just as hard to stitch up afterwards.
And yes, that is a rather excellent Swipe File of a cover. Nice one.
Hack/Slash #25 is published today by Devil’s Due.
- Teri Hatcher And Dean Cain Both Up For A Lois & Clark Reboot - May 23, 2017
- Shirtless Bear-Fighter Bears All For Nude Beariant Cover For FOC… - May 23, 2017
- Liam Sharp Bares All For Wonder Woman #23 Preview - May 23, 2017
- Will You Drink To American Gods In Dark Horse Comics Solicits For August 2017 - May 23, 2017
- All The Doctor Who Solicits For Titan Comics For August 2017, Including Four Doctors Crossover - May 23, 2017