One&Other is a remarkable public arts event in central London.
In Trafalgar Square there are four main plinths on each corner. Three of them are filled by King George V, Henry Havelock and Sir Charles James and the fourth is empty. There have been many suggestions how to fill it, from Nelson Mandela to Margaret Thatcher to Winston Churchill, but it no one has been able to actually agree on one person.
So over the last few years there have been a number of temporary statues from a number of modern artists, but its the most recent one , One & Other, that has caused most fuss. By not being a statue of any recognisable description.
Every hour a member of the public takes to the plinth to do with as they wish, over three months, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day. There are live camera and mircrophone feeds and the plinth is lit up through the night.
And this morning at 8 am until 9 am it was the turn of Andy Grannell, dressed in a Judge Dredd costume, to impart judgements to crime that were texted to him during his hour. He also took the opportunity to promote Dogs For The Disabled, conduct a bit of stand up, talk about his life as a comic reader, arranging a loan for John Wagner, specifically 2000AD. You can see the whole thing (as well as the thousands of other hours archived) here.
And yes, he takes his helmet off. Terrible, I know.
- Fantastic Four #9 and More Stolen from House Of Secrets in Burbank - May 20, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 20th May 2018 – ‘Readers Realized There Was No Wedding in the Wedding Special’ - May 20, 2018
- Bob Layton Just Discovered He Created a Character in Deadpool 2 - May 20, 2018
- The Rev Michael Curry Vs Princess Bride’s Peter Cook’s Royal Wedding Address (VIDEO) - May 20, 2018
- Lying In The Gutters – 20th May 2018 – Flamewars and Lawsuits - May 20, 2018