It shipped yesterday in the US, from the smallish publisher with the annoyingly spelt name Th3rd World Studios. But it has already sold out fast. This all-ages dark fantasy made an impact on Free Comic Book Day, was ordered in relatively small amounts, and made a splash at San Diego. This may be a perfect storm that could see demand and prices spiral.
The Stuff Of Legend #1, the first of two 52 page issues for $4.99 each tells the story of a young child kidnapped by the Boogeyman and his army of toys that set out to save him, against an army of abandoned child’s toys. Basically we’re talking Toy Story meets Apocalypse Now told against the backdrop of World War II. Doesn’t that description just make your heart leap with joy? So going to be reading this with my child.
The format is similar to the successful Mouse Guard, and the audience seems similar too, that kind of wonderful all-ages-appropriate-different-experiences-for-adult-and-child together that make up most Pixar films, Bone and, yes, Mouse Guard.
By Mike Raicht, Brian Smith and Charles Paul Wilson III, this feels like it’s going to be one of those books. One of those, do-you-remember-where-you-were-when-you-first-read kind of books. The Free Comic Book Day preview already goes for $10 online. If your shop has a small stack, I recommend stocking up. I think this is going to be huge.
I just hope I can get a copy. You know, to share with Eve…
- Rebellion to Publish Comics Based On Their Sniper Elite Games in August - May 24, 2018
- 2000AD Publisher Relaunches Classic British Comics as the Rebellion-Verse - May 24, 2018
- Michael Uslan Brings Back Dinosaucers in Lion Forge’s August 2018 Solicits - May 24, 2018
- Dave Sim Creates Nick Calm, Agent of C.O.D.P.I.E.C.E. - May 24, 2018
- Alex Paknadel and Martin Simmonds Launch Friendo in Vault’s August 2018 Solicits - May 24, 2018