Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Disney And Marvel's Big Hero 6 Animated Movie Given November 2014 Release Date

Disney have yet to officially announce anything much about their animated film of the Marvel comics seriesBig Hero 6, but something has finally happened.

Rentrak provide services to the film industry, working across the board with distributors, exhibitors, advertisers and more. They have operations in the US, and in Europe and, as far as I know, elsewhere in the world. They're a big operation.

And they're very often privy to release date plans from the minute they're made.

So I took it as gospelwhen they slotted in Don Hall's Big Hero 6movie for release on November 21st 2014...

...in Spain. But the US release date is likely to fall pretty close to this; the studio have set a pattern of releasing their main family feature during November since Tangled.

I'd guess that the UK release will follow early in 2015. Again, there's precedent. But maybe not - in most cases, Marvel movies have actually opened in the UK ahead of the US.

It seems like Rentrak got the info at the same time as a Spanish release date for Brad Bird's Tomorrowland- which will be just about a month later on December 19th, as it happens.

So that's the first trace of release plans for Big Hero 6. Good to know it's still on track.

The original comics are about a superhero team who live under a theme park in Japan and work for the Japanese government. Speculation is rife that they'll be living under an American theme park and work for somebody else in the Disney film, but I think we'll have to wait and see about this.

And while we're on the subject... will we see anything at Comic-Con? I think an unveiling at Disney's D23 expo this August is much more likely. Still, whenever word comes, I'll be paying close attention.

Dean of Cool University Captain13's Avatar

Marvel/Disney celebrate turning another D/C list comic book franchise that doesn't sell into a likely successful movie. Meanwhile over at Warner Brothers,...

My name is John Stewart. I'm an architect by trade
    and a defender of the universe by appointment.
    It's a pleasure to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    The original comics are about a superhero team who live under a theme park in Japan and work for the Japanese government. Speculation is rife that they'll be living under an American theme park and work for somebody else in the Disney film, but I think we'll have to wait and see about this.
    Really hope that's not true. Would be much more unique for the genre and for the potential asthetics of the animation for it to be in Japan. Plus, that's a huge part of the team.

Zen Master of Cool

Seems like a unique move. I can't wait.

Consultant of Cool

Have they already started production on this? I'm not the most knowledgeable person in terms of animation production, but doesn't it take a good 3 years to produce an animated feature film? If they haven't started production, how can they make a release date that's only about 21 months away?

Wrote the Book on Cool Timber-Munki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacmatt View Post
    Really hope that's not true. Would be much more unique for the genre and for the potential asthetics of the animation for it to be in Japan. Plus, that's a huge part of the team.
    I'd like to think they took a look at the controversy around the likes of Cloud Atlas, The Last Airbender & that proposed live-action Akira remake and keep it set in Japan.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I hope they keep the series based in Japan. That and if we are lucky put it into the Marvel Movieverse.. that or have this be the start of a Animated Marvel'verse.

I hope that all of the writers and artists who created these characters and contributed to the concept are given screen credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacmatt View Post
    I agree. That being said, in the Claremont/Nakayama BH6 mini series, the team traveled to America and temporarily set up shop there to find and stop the main bad guys in that mini series.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    I agree. That being said, in the Claremont/Nakayama BH6 mini series, the team traveled to America and temporarily set up shop there to find and stop the main bad guys in that mini series.
    Fair. I suppose as long as they are clearly Japanese, the actual setting doesn't matter. Just that they ARE Japanese is the most important thing. I don't thing we've had a non-American superhero on the big screen, other than Thor. Wolverine too, I guess, but the Canadian aspect of his character is almost an afterthought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast