Administrator

Default New Elric Comics In French - And Then In English Again

Let us welcome a new comics adaptation of Michael Moorcock's Elric, initially for French territories, but already confirmed for "Anglo-Saxon countries" by its original French publisher.

That means English.

One of the main French comic publishers, Glenat, has just put up itsvoluminous catalog for the months of April to June 2013:

On page 15 we find this;

"ELRIC: THE RUBY THRONE" VOL. 1 - 64 Pages - 9 x 12 in. - May 2013

Written by Julien Blondel, art by Didier Poli & Robin Recht, with this proviso;
    "Epic, gothic, immoderate, enthralling, this new 100% French adaptation, sumptuously put into images by Didier Poli & Robin Recht, has received the enthusiastic approval of Michael Moorcock himself and has been already sold to Anglo-Saxon countries even before its publication in the Hexagon! (aka France)"
    One can only speculate about the Anglo-Saxon publisher that has boughtthe rights...

Boom! Studios is the last US company to have published ELRIC comic adaptations in English. After an unfortunate experience at Dark Horse...

And Titan Comics, the new imprint of Titan Books, has solicited in the February Previews catalog (page 333), for a May 15 release, the first issue of an adaptation of the video-game DEVIL MAY CRY, a translation of a book?* from the same French publisher, Glenat, and even shares a common artist, Robin Recht, with the new French Elric book...

Very nice looking--would welcome an English edition, from whomever gets to publish it.

Very Cool

I have an English translation of the synopsis if anyone's interested. Bear in mind, I'm French Canadian and I had to use Google translate for some of it, but here it is: A Mythical Figure of Fantasy is Adapted in Comic Book Form!

Sickly albino Emperor of the ancient Dragon Isle of Melnibone, Elric reigns a millenia old people with the power inherited from the Gods. But his fragile health has driven him to use drugs and magic to survive. His cousin Yyrkoon, who hates Elric's weakness, attempts to challenge Elric's legitimate possesion of the Ruby Throne.
    In being forced to reassert his authority, Elric will reveal a complex facet of his personality but also his allegiance to the dark designs of Arioch, the most powerful of the Gods of Chaos...

I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Let us welcome a new comics adaptation of Michael Moorcock's Elric, initially for French territories, but already confirmed for "Anglo-Saxon countries" by its original French publisher.

That means English.
    Well, actually "Anglo-Saxon countries" would be England and Germany. Do you see how it's two words with a hyphen between them? That means it's two things.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Well, actually "Anglo-Saxon countries" would be England and Germany. Do you see how it's two words with a hyphen between them? That means it's two things.
    The term Anglo-Saxon designates the population in Britain partly descended from the Germanic tribes who migrated from Europe and settled the south and east of the island beginning in the early 5th century
    Anglo-Saxons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

気持ち悪い

This looks good. I liked the comic that Moorcock wrote Elric: Making of a Sorcerer, with art by Walt Simonson, mostly for the art. However, Stormbringer (Dark Horse) by P. Craig Russell is the best Elric comic I have ever seen.

Sci fi fans should hunt out Multiversity (DC Helix) by Moorcock with art by Walt Simonson and others, which is an absolute joy.
    Everything I write is just my opinion, unless I state otherwise.

So what are your comic book preferences? http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/c...es-thread.html

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    That's not actually what two words with a hyphen between them means at all.

I'm eagerly awaiting my copy (should be coming from my comic guy Lord Jermaine any day now!). He says it's a good-looking hard cover for just 12.99ish. First of 4, I believe, so not sure if it's telling the entire saga from start to finish, or just the first book or two. Looking forward to it either way! *looks at French Elric book cover in my avatar*

Yup, I loves me some Elric!

das