Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Angouleme Grand Prix "Scandal" Rolls Out

Louis Trondheim tweeted the shortlist of the Angouleme Grand Prix presented to the Academy, and the five names listed. He added;
    La majorité de l'Académie atteint son seuil de compétence en élisant le seul auteur connu(excellent neanmoins)par elle twitter.com/lewistrondheim?

? lewistrondheim (@lewistrondheim) February 3, 2013
    Or, most of the Academy reached the limits of their competency by electing the only author they knew (excellent nonetheless).

Frenchman Willem, against a Brit, an American, two Japanese and a Dutchman. Even though Akira Toriyama won the popular vote (and got a Special Grand Prix for his trouble)

Belgian newspaper Le Soir has written a damning critique of the winner, condemning "poo willy" Willem, for his scatalogical taste in cartoons.

They asked if he could really be the equal of Franquin, Pratt, Bilal or Moebius and that nobody considered his addition to the five name short list seriously.

They also pointed out that the blacklisting of respected ActuaBD comic book journalist Didier Pasamonik from the festival, was after he has reported on reported disgruntlement with the new voting system that allowed all French authors and artists to vote, but reserved the final vote for the Academy, and for reporting that Festival president Benoît Mouchart was to leave for Casterman. All this did was elevate Pasamonik and saw him invited to every event going.

ActuaBD however, defended the choice of Willem, praising his work, pointing out that previous winners were alos not widely known by the mass populace, that this is evidence of the battle between the Old and the New amongst comics, and that this is a choice of an academy, expected to be conservative.

They also pointed out that the choice of Willem was also a reaction against the change in voting for the award, and the way it was communicated to members of the Academy and voting authors. And if there are problems, that is where they lie, not in Willem or his work.

Developing, developing, developing...

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Frenchman Willem, against a Brit, an American, two Japanese and a Dutchman.
    Rich, "Frenchman Willem" is the Dutchman. He's a Dutchman who lives in France (AFAIK).

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Jensen View Post
    Rich, "Frenchman Willem" is the Dutchman. He's a Dutchman who lives in France (AFAIK).
    Rich in the last two days you've got this wrong and published an article saying the author of the El Cid comic was Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar (Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar was El Cid, a man who lived in the 11th century!). This is getting beyond sloppy.

Consultant of Cool

I had never heard of the guy and I've been interested in comics for 40 years. I guess the problem is Alan Moore (and maybe some others) wouldn't be interested in being the chairman for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Belgian newspaper Le Soir has written a damning critique of the winner, condemning "poo willy" Willem, for his scatalogical taste in cartoons.

They asked if he could really be the equal of Franquin, Pratt, Bilal or Moebius and that nobody considered his addition to the five name short list seriously.
    I've never heard of Willem either, but I know who Pratt, Bilal and Moebius are. So yes obscure choice, or did they just pick the guy whose work is orginally published in French instead of all these foreign language creators?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by uz000 View Post
    I've never heard of Willem either, but I know who Pratt, Bilal and Moebius are. So yes obscure choice, or did they just pick the guy whose work is orginally published in French instead of all these foreign language creators?
    They picked the only one they knew. That's how sad this is.
    Le Pov where I do my thing in French or English.
    My Tumblr: a sign that it's not just the cool kids anymore who have one.
    @Thomallard on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by B-Thom View Post
    They picked the only one they knew. That's how sad this is.
    That is sad. If you don't know who those other guys are why are you a judge? I mean I know who the big french and japanese artists and writers are (the two big non English comic markets). Still even if I didn't know a foreign artist, surely wikipedia and google translate would answer all these questions?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by uz000 View Post
    That is sad. If you don't know who those other guys are why are you a judge? I mean I know who the big french and japanese artists and writers are (the two big non English comic markets). Still even if I didn't know a foreign artist, surely wikipedia and google translate would answer all these questions?
    Well, to be fair, they're supposed to judge the work, not what wikipedia tells them about it.
    Le Pov where I do my thing in French or English.
    My Tumblr: a sign that it's not just the cool kids anymore who have one.
    @Thomallard on Twitter

Consultant of Cool

It certainly seems like a very conservative traditionalist choice, but here's the Angouleme throwing everyone else a bone or two:

Willem, Akira Toriyama take Angoulême prizes - Comics News - Digital Spy
    THE LONG WEEKEND
    - a 100-page 96-hour road movie
    emotica/erotica b&w komix novella
    now available for the iPad for 99c!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast