Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Comic Wars: Bluewater, Levity And A Sam Kinison Cover

A few days ago, we reported how Jaymes Reed had pulled his creator owned Comics COMICS biography line from Bluewater, amidst allegations and delays of non payment.

In reply, Bluewater publisher Darren G Davis stated that he was only publishing the line as a favour and the books were only selling less than 200 copies each through Diamond.

Well, it seems that Darren likes them a bit more than that. In that after our articles, he approached an artist he'd worked on before who he believed to have painted the cover to the Sam Kinison biographical comic, now pulled from Bluewater and planned to be published by Levity Comics in September. He said that Bluewater were also now planning a biography comic book on Sam Kinison as well and asked if he could use the cover.

He got the wrong artist, who then emailed Jaymes to ask what was going on.
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------From: "Darren Davis"Date: 31 Jan 2013 05:42Subject: Re: Liz Taylor roughTo: xxxxHey xxxx

Did you do this cover onSam Kiniston If so can I use it? I hope all is well!! We are moving forward on a book on him

Darren

As to the supposed only 200 copies of Jaymes' books ordered by Diamond, Jaymes shared with me the print breakdown supplied by Bluewater for the George Carlin book. No great shakes, but a lot higher than Darren had indicated. Jaymes told me he received no other paperwork, let alone any payment, for the other books published at Bluewater.

I asked Darren for his thoughts. He told me;
    We are still moving forward with the series. The writer of the Sam Kinison script works with me on other projects asked me about doing it. The script he did was passed on by Jaymes for Sam Kinison and I told the writer we would do it as the 1st one in the rebranding of the line. He told the writer that the book was not going to be done. The Kinison cover was done under the guise of Bluewater in which I have a contract, so I emailed the cover artist who also has covers for us on Keith Richards and Liz Taylor.

As for the George Carlin book ? there was only one printing and the rest of the books were shipped to Jaymes. I was the SNL book I was referencing too that was under 200 copies. The 3 Stooges was around 800 copies. These low print numbers really hurt the print runs of the other books we do since we gang run them. Jaymes was well aware of this. Also there were the legal copyright issues with all the books we had to deal with. The numbers are public from Diamond. Once again, I have yet to hear from Jaymes about any of this and I have reached out to him numerous times.

This is the last I am talking about this in a public forum, so please do not ask me any more questions about it. Since you are pulling Jaymes's strings you should have him contact me instead of using this for your benefit for your story. I have done a lot for that guy and feel very slighted on this end. I have done a lot for him professionally and personally.
    I'm not pulling Jaymes' strings of course, no more than I am pulling Darren's. Jaymes and Darren are welcome to talk to each other, but neither seems to be doing so right now. The "rebranding" of the line... or in other words, now that the line has gone, copying its ideas so that no one notices it has left Bluewater, such as a biography on Sam Kinison, and trying to use the same cover that has already been used to promote the now-at-Levity comic. The numbers are not public from Diamond, all you get is an estimate that missed out non-North American sales and subsequent reorders.

And while Darren may have done lots for Jaymes professionally and personally, Jaymes still seems to believe he hasn't been paid, and hasn't seen the relevant paperwork for his published books.

Exceedingly Cool
    Over the horizon. Keep going, you'll find it.

Darren Davis. Not believing you. Good thing you won't be talking in public any more about this, since the facts you cite are verifiable.

Bluewater. Won't be missed. Still.

With Tolerance For The Loss Of Things Without Value...

Marq

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Quote Originally Posted by Darren G. Davis View Post
    This is the last I am talking about this in a public forum, so please do not ask me any more questions about it. Since you are pulling Jaymes's strings you should have him contact me instead of using this for your benefit for your story. I have done a lot for that guy and feel very slighted on this end. I have done a lot for him professionally and personally.
    Boo-friggin'-hoo Darren! How about paying the people what they are due, maybe then they'd all finally stop complaining about you?
    Seriously, the guy gives the numbers for the weakest issue, with the others selling multiple times as much, restarting the line under your own name, even trying to use the same covers and you are trying to pass yourself off as the one being slighted here?
    You've got Chuzpe!!

I don't get it, given the way he treats his creators, given the low quality of most of Bluewaters output, why is this company even still in business?
    "Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
    -Dylan Thomas

"Tyger Tyger, burning bright, / In the forests of the night..."
    -William Blake

"taH pagh, taH be."
    -the Bard

"I used to have really cool signatures, but now all I have are some unrelated quotes from poems and plays. Bummer."
    -die-yng

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by die-yng View Post
    Boo-friggin'-hoo Darren! How about paying the people what they are due, maybe then they'd all finally stop complaining about you?
    Seriously, the guy gives the numbers for the weakest issue, with the others selling multiple times as much, restarting the line under your own name, even trying to use the same covers and you are trying to pass yourself off as the one being slighted here?
    You've got Chuzpe!!

I don't get it, given the way he treats his creators, given the low quality of most of Bluewaters output, why is this company even still in business?
    Vanity, maybe?
    I write about comics.
    Tumblr - Twitter - Column

Exceedingly Cool
    Over the horizon. Keep going, you'll find it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluew...694?ref=stream

Darren Davis: Comic Wars - GeektheNews

"Bluewater Comics
    COMICS WAR....lol -

THIS IS THE LAST TIME I AM COMMENTING ON ANY OF THIS....IT IS A WASTE OF MY TIME (AND YOURS).

This Bleeding Cool story about the COMICS bio line is really ridiculous. I see 1st hand - how a story gets totally blown out of proportion. I just did an 45 minute interview with GEEK THE NEWS last night about it.

The thing that gets me, is as a business - I have yet to hear anything from Jaymes Reed on any of this. He is fighting his battle in the press - which is odd too because he has never contacted me about this. Not only is is juvenile, but it is bad business.

Bleeding Cool with this story is like my high school newspaper reporting on gossip not facts. I just do not get it….

We are moving on with the line of Comedians - since a lot of them came from my mind on his list. Also the writer from the Sam Kinison comic book came to me and told me that Jaymes Reed passed on it. I work with the writer on other projects.

So any ideas what is the next story we should blow out of proportion?

Here take listen to the GEEK THE NEWS:

Darren Davis: Comic Wars - GeektheNews

Darren"

With Tolerance For More Information...

Marq
    Last edited by Marq; 02-02-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Link didn't work first time.

You've got Chuzpe!!

Big words from the man buying Zenescope comics.

気持ち悪い

Is it just me.. or are they both horrible businessmen and these books are all horrible?

I'm really sad to hear that the family of Bill Hicks got roped into the game of these clowns in a prior article.

It's a wicked world we live in.

Shit. Fucking TokyoPop is still somehow in business technically and that psychopath Stu Levy is trying to make a comeback with it.

The comic book industry at large, and many comic fans are already aware by now that when Darren Davis pipes up its usually full of untruths.

Today, Google pulled up a new blog by Darren, under the Bluewater name. Enjoy: Bluewater Productions

On it you can see him post hilarious blog entries like his supposed bio, where he now claims to have represented artists like Joe Madueira, Andy Park, Adam Hughes, Keu Cha, Randy green, Chris Bachalo, and others. How much would you bet the artists will say "HELL NO!" when asked if that's true?

You'll also see him post about having a KICKSTARTER campaign! But no details.... so Google provides us with a press release Darren wrote, which mentions that its a comic adaptation of an author's novel, and there's a $38,000 goal. Gee that's a lot of money, wonder if any artist unlucky enough to do the art sees any of it.

Julie Kagawa Comic Book Announcement | Larsen Pomada Literary Agents

And here's another link, since Darren has posted about doing an interview for Geek The News: Darren Davis: Comic Wars - GeektheNews

That's an "interview" that ends with Darren trying to deflect attention from himself and onto Rich. That's what he does when people call him out for screwing them over. He wants you to look anywhere but at him.

(just noticed the links were provided as this post was being written)

Darren Davis is also posting on the Bluewater Comics | Facebook that he'll be going ahead with ripping off Jaymes by doing the Comedians comics at Bluewater, claiming they were "from his mind":

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...01052776624694

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Big words from the man buying Zenescope comics.

I proudly stand by my Zenescope comics and declare that their books are far better than their reputation, in fact some of them are really good.
    Which people who are able to look beyond the cheesecake covers and actually look at the story of f.e. the Wonderland books, or the Waking could discover themselves.
    Fly is also interesting or even the grand scope fantasy story of GFT itself.

The only thing troubling me, are the payment issues, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how it plays out.

And fans of MotU should just stay in their closet and try out their pink Prince Adam costumes.
    "Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
    -Dylan Thomas

"Tyger Tyger, burning bright, / In the forests of the night..."
    -William Blake

"taH pagh, taH be."
    -the Bard

"I used to have really cool signatures, but now all I have are some unrelated quotes from poems and plays. Bummer."
    -die-yng

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast