Administrator

Default Drew Struzan "Misunderstood" About Star Wars Posters - Not Asked, Not Interested

Earlier in the week a quote from Drew Struzan made it sound like hehad already been contacted by Disney about drafting posters forupcoming Star Wars films. Seemed like an early play by the Mouse, butI assumed they were after some teaser posters, an announcement imageor the like.

But... oops. It was all a big misunderstanding, he says.

Here's the original quote:
    Oh, well, never say never? in fact, I got a couple calls already thisweek on Star Wars from Disney? You know, I spent 35 years paintingStar Wars. I painted Star Wars before most of you were born! But Iguess there is always a chance. There?s no intention.
    And now.here's the update from Struzan's Facebook this evening:
    Misunderstood?

A couple of friends at Disney were fantasizing about the new STAR WARS movies.

"Disney" has said nothing to me and I expect nothing. That a couple offriends were wishing is only an expression of the hope that many aresharing but says nothing regarding the Studio itself. Even if 'they'did ask, which Disney has not, I'd rather leave the new films to thenext generation to interpret. I've had my time and they wereexceptional blessings for which I will forever be grateful.

Tomorrow is a new day?drew
    His work will be missed. Though, tomorrow being a new day, maybe he'llchange his mind.

Wrote the Book on Cool Timber-Munki's Avatar

Personally I'd love to see Frank Quietly, José Ladrönn Brandon Graham, James Stokoe or Paul Pope doing the posters, although I could see the genius/insanity argument in the Disney hierarchy continuing until the Sun becomes a red giant...

VP in Charge of Cool

Get this guy from Austin to do it. He does novelty posters for special screenings of movies....Fanboys-poster-300x225.jpg

Wrote the Book on Cool

I think they will ask him. I know that they want a fresh start and all that, but there are elements that must be included with Star Wars movie and his posters are one of these things.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Timber-Munki View Post
    Personally I'd love to see Frank Quietly, José Ladrönn Brandon Graham, James Stokoe or Paul Pope doing the posters, although I could see the genius/insanity argument in the Disney hierarchy continuing until the Sun becomes a red giant...
    Quote Originally Posted by db8coach View Post
    Get this guy from Austin to do it. He does novelty posters for special screenings of movies....Fanboys-poster-300x225.jpg
    Wow, those are some really awful suggestions

Wrote the Book on Cool hammerstein's Avatar

[Tomorrow is a new day]

Let's hope Disney keep that in mind, the trick is to make it both connected to the Star Wars universe and also a whole new invention...Sequel and Prequel-itis™ is a disease that can kill stone cold dead. Only a handful have had
    the vision to get anything like connected movies vaguely right....Marvel for one..Dredd also has totally reinvented and redefined that character for the previously uninitiated...

hopefully we dont get 22 medium headshot posters

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    I think they will ask him. I know that they want a fresh start and all that, but there are elements that must be included with Star Wars movie and his posters are one of these things.
    I dont think that will work too well. The idea of trying to recapture the magic of the originals is not something that works these days. The sequels are being made for the new generation. They tried to recapture the magic for Superman Returns and look what happened there (with the spit curl, the theme, the casting) it just didnt work. I absolutely adore Struzan's work but I think he's right in that the posters should now be done by the next generation. Painted posters are beautiful but not for movie posters these days unless theyre done in a stylish fashion. I think they will go for real life actors with a designed back ground or CG images.

But for the fun of dreaming, Alex Ross is an obvious choice but not an inspired one. I lve Quitely but it doesnt suit the tone of the series. My personal choice would be for Travis Charest. His Dark Horse covers were gorgeous and while they were painted style drawings, they did have a modern edge to them and he captures character likenesses like no other...