Administrator

Default AngoulÍme Grand Prix Nominees - Alan Moore To Marjorie Satrapi To Posy Simmonds To Chris Ware

The AngoulÍme Grand Prix is arguably the greatest honour a comic artist can win, presented at the annual festival in January.

This year, for the first time, the AngoulÍme Grand Prix winner won't be chosen by past winners, but instead elected by the other authors present at the event.

Here are the candidates;

The winner will also be invited to chair next year's festival. Hmm, maybe Alan Moore will find himself going to his second comics convention in twenty-five years...

Dean of Cool University

Great candidates. The ones I've heard of all deserve to win (and the rest probably do as well).

I'd probably go with Pierre Christin this year. Next year: Hermann.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Great evolution of the election system! Hopefully It'll allow for some surprises. I'd love to see a mangaka get it like Otomo, Toriyama or Taniguchi, to put some diversity in this sometimes very conservative festival.
    Le Pov where I do my thing in French or English.
    My Tumblr: a sign that it's not just the cool kids anymore who have one.
    @Thomallard on Twitter

Consultant of Cool

Well, this is not the first time the authors vote for the Grand Prix and the two previous time, all the authors could vote, not just those present at AngoulÍme. And the authors won't elect the Grand Prix, they'll just reduce the short list to 5 names, then the Academy will choose.
    Don't ask me what I think of this parody.

Zen Master of Cool

I doubt Moore will win. If it goes to an English-language writer it'll be Ware, who had a tremendously acclaimed book out just recently.

All awards are arbitrary, and this seems no less obtuse a system of selection as any other. Indeed, given the pedigree of those involved, its perhaps one of the more meritorious systems.

Awards are only important if we all say they are. If you really like a book, buy it for a friend. That's a more effective way of rewarding excellence than any rosette.