Administrator

Default First Clip From Pixar\'s New Short, The Blue Umbrella - They\'re Playing With Photorealistic Images

The Wall Street Journal have unveiled this first clip from The Blue Umbrella, a new Pixar short film that will be released this summer with Monsters University.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVFNRrL79w0[/youtube]

I think we can probably expect a little hidden reference to the earlier Pixar short Red's Dream in there somewhere.

The Blue Umbrella was directed by Saschka Unseld, a member of Pixar's camera and layout team. I was following its development for some time on the Rainy City Tales Tumblr, which wasn't officially revealed to be Pixar-related until today, but which gave up plenty of clues as it went along. We learned a few months back that Jon Brion was scoring the film, which is pretty interesting in and of itself.

Unseld says this film will be going for full-on photorealism, which is new for Pixar. Obviously this doesn't extend to the incredibly cartoony, bold faces that have been added to the various inanimate objects who populate and play out this story:
    Gutters grin, sewer drains smile and "walk" signals spy.
    We're promised that the film will feature "complex scenes" of "people walking along the street" which would be something notoriously hard to render in photo-real quality. Something tells me their faces will be left out of the picture, at least to a large extent.

I guess it goes without saying that I'm looking forward to seeing more of this film.

VP in Charge of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar

I wonder why they didn't just shoot it practically and add the faces later.