Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Why Damon Lindelof Isn't Writing The Prometheus Sequel

Assuming that there's ever a direct sequel to Prometheus, and that's not a given, it seems that it won't be written by Damon Lindelof, and this is despite him already having pitched a follow-up at the same time as his version of the last film.

Collider spoke to Lindelof at a Star Trek Into Darkness press event and came back with quotes on why he's not going to be reuniting with Ridley Scott for more of the same:
    ...I think what ended up happening was that the movie came out, and there was a reaction to the movie. And I got really wrapped up in Trek, and really wrapped up in this movie that I?m producing and writing with Brad Bird. And I have a TV project that I was really passionate about.

Ridley and I had a meeting after Prometheus came out where we started talking again about where this journey would go. And in that meeting I said to him, unfortunately, before he could ask me and go through the discomfort of whether he was going to ask me or not? It?s sort of like having a date where you?re letting the other person know, ?I?m in another relationship.? So I can?t tell you that he asked me and I said no...

...I?m usually very single-minded creatively. I can only be working on one thing at a time. So I said to him, ?I really don?t think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff. And I don?t know when the other stuff is going to be done.? And he was like, ?Well, okay, it?s not like I asked you anyways.? He and I are on excellent terms and it was a dream come true to work with him. But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don?t see myself being involved in Prometheus-er.
    Scott has wrapped his next film, The Counselor, and next could be his Blade Runner sequel, The Forever War, more Prometheus or... something else entirely. All we really know about it, whatever it is, is that Damon Lindelof is too busy to get involved with it and it's not like Scott asked him anyway.

I'd like to see more in the Alien universe. I wouldn't even say no to a follow up to Prometheus. I'm just pretty sure I wouldn't want Ridley Scott to be in charge of it.

To Scott, this world is a perfect platform for exploring his "big ideas" about "creation." Unfortunately, those big ideas are completely empty, pseudo-philosophical bunkum. I hope he ends up anchored by better ideas, whether they're big or small, from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post

Assuming that there's ever a direct sequel to Prometheus, and that's not a given, it seems that it won't be written by Damon Lindelof, and this is despite him already having pitched a follow-up at the same time as his version of the last film.

Collider spoke to Lindelof at a Star Trek Into Darkness press event and came back with quotes on why he's not going to be reuniting with Ridley Scott for more of the same:
    ...I think what ended up happening was that the movie came out, and there was a reaction to the movie. And I got really wrapped up in Trek, and really wrapped up in this movie that I?m producing and writing with Brad Bird. And I have a TV project that I was really passionate about.

Ridley and I had a meeting after Prometheus came out where we started talking again about where this journey would go. And in that meeting I said to him, unfortunately, before he could ask me and go through the discomfort of whether he was going to ask me or not? It?s sort of like having a date where you?re letting the other person know, ?I?m in another relationship.? So I can?t tell you that he asked me and I said no...

...I?m usually very single-minded creatively. I can only be working on one thing at a time. So I said to him, ?I really don?t think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff. And I don?t know when the other stuff is going to be done.? And he was like, ?Well, okay, it?s not like I asked you anyways.? He and I are on excellent terms and it was a dream come true to work with him. But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don?t see myself being involved in Prometheus-er.
    Scott has wrapped his next film, The Counselor, and next could be his Blade Runner sequel, The Forever War, more Prometheus or... something else entirely. All we really know about it, whatever it is, is that Damon Lindelof is too busy to get involved with it and it's not like Scott asked him anyway.

I'd like to see more in the Alien universe. I wouldn't even say no to a follow up to Prometheus. I'm just pretty sure I wouldn't want Ridley Scott to be in charge of it.

To Scott, this world is a perfect platform for exploring his "big ideas" about "creation." Unfortunately, those big ideas are completely empty, pseudo-philosophical bunkum. I hope he ends up anchored by better ideas, whether they're big or small, from here on out.
    I'm not sure that I really agree with any of this, but I like that you're saying it and how you're saying it.

Review | Random | Smile | Pic

M_M_M IS CURRENTLY OUT OF THE FUCKING OFFICE

KINDLY LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP

THE BEEP IS CENSORING THE SWEAR M_M_M IS CALLING YOU FOR TRYING TO DISTURB HIS HOLIBOB

As I found out when his brother died, Ridley Scott is very, very old. I would be surprised if he makes more than a couple more movies, and even more surprised if Prometheus 2 is one of them.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post

Well, you certainly have a right to your opinion, however wrong it might be.
    "Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
    -Dylan Thomas

"Tyger Tyger, burning bright, / In the forests of the night..."
    -William Blake

"taH pagh, taH be."
    -the Bard

"I used to have really cool signatures, but now all I have are some unrelated quotes from poems and plays. Bummer."
    -die-yng

It amused me when Prometheus came out and so many people hated it immediately how quick they were to blame everything bad about the film on Damon Lindelof. I assume this is because of Lost, by the way. It amused me because everyone seemed to forget that Ridley Scott didn't let Lindelof come in and tell him how it was going to be. Scott was the man and the impetus behind this film, and the films failings are at his feet. It seemed like Scott got a pass by the haters in general because of things like Blade Runner and the original Alien film.

By the way, I liked Prometheus quite a bit and aside from the vast majority of S3 loved Lost from start to finish.

Having read the earlier pre-Lindelof script, the stuff I thought was not that good seems to be mostly his work.

All in all, Prometheus was the most enjoyable Science-Fiction movie I watched the last years (and I do watch a lot of them), despite it's weaknesses, and for me that is due to Ridley Scott's abilities as a director.
    "Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
    -Dylan Thomas

-William Blake

"taH pagh, taH be."
    -the Bard

"I used to have really cool signatures, but now all I have are some unrelated quotes from poems and plays. Bummer."
    -die-yng

Quote Originally Posted by die-yng View Post
    Having read the earlier pre-Lindelof script, the stuff I thought was not that good seems to be mostly his work.

All in all, Prometheus was the most enjoyable Science-Fiction movie I watched the last years (and I do watch a lot of them), despite it's weaknesses, and for me that is due to Ridley Scott's abilities as a director.
    And that I think falls at the feet of the filmmaker. Unless the studio forced rewrites onto him (and I doubt that) he was the one who accepted Lindelof's final script as the version he wanted to create.

I don't get what was so confusing about the movie. It made sense to me, and I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    And that I think falls at the feet of the filmmaker. Unless the studio forced rewrites onto him (and I doubt that) he was the one who accepted Lindelof's final script as the version he wanted to create.
    I'd say more the producers fault (normally) than the directors. Anyway, I wouldn't blame the director for a weak script. I think most of the time the director doesn't have much say in who writes the final script. I'm not saying this was the point here, just in general.
    That doesn't mean Scott is beyond reproach, he is a director that has always astonished me by the inconsistency in his work. Some movies are timeless gems (Alien, Blade Runner). Some are so-so (Gladiator) and there are even downright failures like his Robin Hood.

I have yet to find a Scorcese movie that I couldn't enjoy and I'm like that with most of the directors I follow, Scott definitely is different in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I don't get what was so confusing about the movie. It made sense to me, and I liked it.
    I think there were some things meant to be left open without a definite explanation and today's moviegoers are unwilling to accept that. Most of them want the solution to everything, possibly in as small words as possible.
    Last edited by die-yng; 12-20-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    -Dylan Thomas

-William Blake

"taH pagh, taH be."
    -the Bard

-die-yng

Exceedingly Cool

I've never seen any of LOST so I have no opinion on this guy other than what I've seen in Prometheus and what I've seen there was a mad game of basketball, where they were passing the idiot ball to each other like crazy. Terrible film, terrible script.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast