Administrator

Default Michael Bay's Top Secret Almanac Isn't So Secret Any More

When the sci-fi film Almanac made the trades in October, there wasn't a lot of info to go around. The Hollywood Reporter said it was a sci-fi film, and that it would be in the a found footage style comparable to Chronicle.*

We learned that it was to be the directorial debut of Jonathan Liebesman's cousinDean Israelite and that Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes would be producing. We knew more about the cover sheet than anything inside the screenplay byAndrew StarkandJason Pagan. Even the film's log line was being kept under lock and key.

But now a friend of Bleeding Cool has become privy to a lot more information, and they've decided to share. Here's a summary of what I was told.

The lead character, David, is a smart kid in high school but he's finding dating hard. He's drawn to Jessie, the typical popular girl, and decides that he'll try to attract her by winning the science fair, and the college scholarship that will net him. Bless.

David's late father was a scientist and so he looks through his Dad's stuff for ideas - and he finds two things of note. One gives him the ability to time travel... and the other is a sports almanac. Anybody who has seen Back to the Future 2 can guess where this is headed.

Two more of David's friends travel back through time with him to abuse the almanac. Timelines get messed with, we learn more about David's Dad's research and there's apparently a couple of pretty big twists... one of which I was able to guess, in fact.

Here's hoping the twist won't be quite so obvious on the big screen.

Much of the success of Almanac will be down to casting, I'm told. The lead roles spend a lot of time together, and its their relationships and interactions that will elevate the film. Does sound like Chronicle in that respect, I will admit.

Almanac is apparently on a real fast track to production and we may even see it in cinemas by this time next year. Hold tight for more.

*WithChronicleand now AlmanacI advise hungry screenwriters to quickly bash out sci-fi found footage scripts called Journal and Gazzeteer.

Dean of Cool University

Let me guess, he's his own grandfather!

Wrote the Book on Cool

Errr...his dad's already used the almanac in order to fund his research into time travel but, with his son using it, it means that the time machine was never created in the first place?

Yeah, I know, it makes no sense but, y'know, timey wimey wibbly wobbly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metcalfe View Post
    Errr...his dad's already used the almanac in order to fund his research into time travel but, with his son using it, it means that the time machine was never created in the first place?

Yeah, I know, it makes no sense but, y'know, timey wimey wibbly wobbly.
    it does and doesn't, maybe the flux capacitor works in a way that stops it from being altered by time distortions or degradation after all, remember when doc buried the car, wasn't it pretty well preserved?
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Default Uh oh...

I guess I'll need to update my Back to the Future encyclopedia, only a week after its publication.

Exceedingly Cool

Make like a screen door and leave McFly!

So Michael Bay is so creative... he's unofficially remaking Back to the Future 2... well.. one specific plot point of Back to the Future 2. I've called him a hack before, but this is a whole new fucking level of being a hack.