Thread: Secret Wars, Squadron Supreme And Strikeforce Morituri At 99 Cents On Monday On ComiXology

Administrator

Default Secret Wars, Squadron Supreme And Strikeforce Morituri At 99 Cents On Monday On ComiXology

Coming down the pipe, already at the low price in the UK, heading towards the US soon, Marvel's Monday ComiXology sale will see Squadron Supreme, Strikeforce Morituri and Secret Wars, all big titles in their day, all beginning with the letter S, and all at 99 cents an issue. Well worth the trip back in time...

Fo you think we'll be seeing a lot of these cosmic ComiXology sales to come from Marvel soon?Do you think they'll call it a CosmiXology sale? They should.

With Squadron Supreme though, I doubt they'll have been able to mix Mark Grunwald's ashes in with the pixels...

I might just go for those Squadron Supremes.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

99 cents is about what I paid for the original Squadron Supreme issues when I bought them 6-7 years ago.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Consultant of Cool

I don't think STRIKEFORCE MORITURI or SQUADRON SUPREME were really considered "big titles in their day". I kind of doubt either was in the top half of Marvel's sales past their first issues. On the other hand they were pretty decent, unlike that crappy "big title" SECRET WARS.

And I know it's futile to correct Rcih Jonestown spelling, but "Mark Gruenwald".

Wrote the Book on Cool

Strikeforce Morituri was a great series. Highly recommended for anyone who doesn't mind throwing a few bucks down for it. I bought the entire 30 odd issue run 20 years ago for $1 an issue and still have them floating around today. Happily paid $1 for digital versions.

SS I just read recently from the Omnibus release. Interesting read it was really the Authority 15 years earlier. Also enjoyed it.

Consultant of Cool

If I had Comixology, I'd be having all of those Strikeforce Morituri comics. Like SirFlibble says, smashing series. I've still the complete run of all the original issues - fell apart a little by the mini-series at the end, but the first two years' worth of issues are gold.

Dean of Cool University

what was up with marvel back in 80's? you had them launch the new universe, squadron supreme, and strikeforce: morituri. some pretty bold and different ideas from a publisher that wasnt struggling at the time....

Wrote the Book on Cool jackolantern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ewokpelts View Post
    what was up with marvel back in 80's? you had them launch the new universe, squadron supreme, and strikeforce: morituri. some pretty bold and different ideas from a publisher that wasnt struggling at the time....
    One of the more cynical theories about the New Universe was that Jim Shooter was trying to prove that Marvel could be a success without titles that Jack Kirby (whose efforts to get his artwork back were still pending at the time) had worked on. I think we know how well that worked out.

Seriously, though, I think that the NU and Epic titles were Marvel's reaction to the (as it turns out, short-lived success) of non-Big Two publishers such as First, Comico, and Eclipse, none of which are around any more (although some of them have had sort-of revivals).

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by jackolantern View Post
    One of the more cynical theories about the New Universe was that Jim Shooter was trying to prove that Marvel could be a success without titles that Jack Kirby (whose efforts to get his artwork back were still pending at the time) had worked on. I think we know how well that worked out.

Seriously, though, I think that the NU and Epic titles were Marvel's reaction to the (as it turns out, short-lived success) of non-Big Two publishers such as First, Comico, and Eclipse, none of which are around any more (although some of them have had sort-of revivals).
    I ha read that shooter was not against giving kirby his artwork back, but tht marvel corporate made the call