Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Con Wars: Vs The Colourists

Administrator

Default Con Wars: Vs The Colourists

Colourist Jordie Bellaire posted on her tumblr, addressed to an unnamed comic convention who had decided not to list comic book colourists as guests at their next event
    Your archaic view of creatives is part of what keeps jobs of this industry undervalued. Congratulations, you?ve officially locked out a great percentage of talented, friendly, hard working creatives who would originally have had great interest in attending your convention.

Your one sentence, ?this is not a colorists thing?, was surely the most pigheaded and dismissive thing I?ve been told since I began professional coloring. This is a seriously small-minded view of the way things work. Let me explain why:

Colorists make or break a book:?*Colorists are extremely essential to the medium of colored comics. I don?t think I need to explain to most any fan, the value of a colorist like Laura Martin or Dave Stewart. Colorists create form for figures and their environments, mood, tone and ?Effects? like, blurring, flares, glows, color holds, etc. If any of this is done badly or doesn?t give clarity to an artist?s work, the artwork fails.

Colorists are the unknown amazing backup singer who makes every track awesome BUT-Colorists are not compensated nearly as much as artists: Colorists, while paid in some instances very fairly, are never compensated even half of what the artist on the title is generally making. Colorists work because they love COMICS.
    It continues... of course the real question people will be asking is... which convention? All we know is it isn't "Thought Bubble, Heroes, NYCC, ECCC, D.I.C.E"...

Consultant of Cool

Jordie is 100% correct.

Consultant of Cool phoenix phan's Avatar

I agree that ALL creators should be listed on a convention's guest list. I love meeting every person that has their name in the credits of a book.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Unbelievably that someone at a comics convention could be so ignorant of comics.

Sure, I can enjoy black and white comics, but the work colourists do today never ceases to amaze me.
    A lot of books have brilliant colours.

Which convention wouldn't be happy to list Laura Martin, Dave Stewart or Nei Ruffino among their guests?
    Last edited by die-yng; 01-24-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Glad it isn't NYCC, the one convention I attend regularly.

She is totally, completely correct, and it's something I've noticed more and more as my appreciation has deepened. The garishly primary color palette of many DC books (which don't subscribe to the same warmth-based look of most Marvel books) have really turned me off of many of their otherwise passable artists, while the bizarrely blurred tones of John Rauch hampered initial issues of Venom (with pencillers I loved) for me and led me to leave Invincible with issue #100. Dean White MADE Uncanny X-Force during his long tenure, and is just as essential to Cap and Avengers right now, whereas Laura Martin has been doing Cassady's heavy lifting for a while now. Colorists definitely deserve to be considered marketable creators in 2013.

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

I wonder if the same convention listed editors....

Mario Di Giacomo

Consultant of Cool

Let's also put this on the record: It's bullshit when colorists don't get cover credit.

Way Cool

my guess its a WW. Takes away from aging wrestlers advertising!

[QUOTE=deadpool2098;492175]my guess its a WW. Takes away from aging wrestlers advertising![/
    WW does list colorists on their convention website. My guess is it's a convention in the UK, Jordie is from Ireland.

Yep, that's one remarkably dumb ass position for a convention to take...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast