Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twelve Thoughts About Twelve Comics ? Bedlam, Nightwing, Minutemen, Hellblazer, Deadpool Killustrated, Gambit, Young Avengers, Saucer Country, The Answer, Green Lantern, Batwoman and Uncanny Avengers

Administrator

Default Twelve Thoughts About Twelve Comics ? Bedlam, Nightwing, Minutemen, Hellblazer, Deadpool Killustrated, Gambit, Young Avengers, Saucer Country, The Answer, Green Lantern, Batwoman and Uncanny Avengers

Nick Spencer has explained how Bedlam isn't Gotham, and The Joker (formerly known as The Red Hood) isn't Madder Red, but it is really. Take this scene from Bedlam #3 out today.

Remind you of another scene repeatedly playing out across the Death Of The Family titles such as today's Nightwing?

"What's in the box? Whaaat's in the booooox?"

Okay that's got to be coincidence but it's not the only one. In the week HMV go bust in the UK, Minutemen opens with an HMV vinyl of The Rise Of The Valkyries and continues it through...

See, this is what happened when we all heard Hellblazer was cancelled. For Chas, read a couple of old drinking buddies. Not happy campers, though this issue has a particularly old school feel that O think they'd appreciate.

See, now this is the Deadpool solution to any more Clone Sagas in Deadpool Killustrated. Weirdly, this is set in the continuity of Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe, but one that just hand waves away the final scenes of that book.

Any excuse for Gambit to get his top off. It's that kind of sexual gratuitous art that really lets comics down, don't you think? I look forward to some Topless Gambit cosplay crowds this con season...

Or topless Marvel Boy crowds, I don't think anyone will mind either way. And yes, with this scene in Young Avengers, we are totally reading Phonogram really, aren't we?

Saucer Country gives us people who bash fairies... in a very literal fashion. I've enjoyed how this book jumps genres so effortlessly, weaving it's very own specific form of fantasy and science fiction conspiracy. I'll miss it.

The Answer from Dennis Hopeless and Mike Norton... is it me or has someone seen Robocop recently?

Simon Baz comes down on one side of the gun control argument. No one is taking his gun away. Or his ring for that matter. Yoiun know this kind of thing opens up a can of worms. And they are all toting glocks.

In Batwoman, the gods descend to meet the mortals...

And in Uncanny Avengers the djinns have a go too. This seems to be the Alanis Morrisette definition of irony at work here. If Dangerous Jinn had been driving the bus, Turner was the illegitimate great grand daughter of the Red Skull or if she worked for a gin manufacturer then maybe, just maybe, it would be ironic.

Summon Ed Byrne immediately!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg[/youtube]

Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post

Okay that's got to be coincidence but it's not the only one. In the week HMV go bust in the UK, Minutemen opens with an HMV vinyl of The Rise Of The Valkyries and continues it through...
    That's The Ride Of The Valkyries, Rich. #shouldhavegonetospecsavers
    "I have nothing but abhorrence for the superhero as a figure. I think that there is something wrong...something a little bit disturbing if we just want to regurgitate the culture that we grew up with and which takes us back to our happy place. I really thought comics was about something more than that." - Alan Moore

I love Doug Mahnke's art.

Dean of Cool University Captain13's Avatar

You guys have to read Justice League issue 16 today! 10/10 for me. This is the book Justice League should be.

And Cyborg is AWESOME!

My name is John Stewart. I'm an architect by trade
    and a defender of the universe by appointment.
    It's a pleasure to meet you.

FABLES #125 was excellent.
    BATWOMAN #16 was utterly spellbinding.
    WONDER WOMAN #16 was fantastic.
    HELLBLAZER #299 rocked.
    NIGHTWING #16 was terrific.

That’s all I’ve read so far today.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Nick Spencer has explained how Bedlam isn't Gotham, and The Joker (formerly known as The Red Hood) isn't Madder Red, but it is really.
    How dare you impugn the veracity of Saint Spencer?!?!?!?!?!?!
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Bleeding Cool

Marvel Boy's characterisation, once again, seems way off. He hates everyone on planet earth, because it's a mess, and it killed all his friends. What's so difficult about this to understand?

As much as I liked the first series of Phonogram, I'm so annoyed by the two panels that my left arm is tingling, and there's a sort of heavy, thumping feeling where my heart's supposed to be.

I was hoping for better from Gillen, but, based on the above, it's just going to be the superhero comics equivalent of 'gay cowboys sitting around, eating pudding', I fear.
    Last edited by Ian Coke; 01-23-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Wait, what's happened to Saucer Country?

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SimonJ View Post
    Wait, what's happened to Saucer Country?
    Cancelled due to low sales.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast