Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Bolland Is Selling His Silver Age Collection

Administrator

Default Brian Bolland Is Selling His Silver Age Collection

Brian Bolland is selling his Silver Age comics collection. Why? He writes;
    Why? Well, in a few words: You can't take 'em with you. My wife said something to the effect : "In the event of your demise what would I do with all those comics." And I thought - yes - I should sell them. The people for whom those comics have a special significance are of the age that they'll soon be dying off so I thought I'd sell 'em while there are still customers for them. They were all bagged and I rarely opened them and I have scans of the covers of all of them that I can look at instantly. I think they're still beautiful. My Famous Monsters of Filmland, Creepy's and Eeries are up for sale too.
    If you buy any, do let him know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bolland
    You can't take 'em with you
    Amen, you awesome artist. It's one thing if you're some rich guy in New England that can afford a basement chock full o' longboxes and statues, but for the rest of us mooks, it's a pain in the ass keeping up with a proper 'collection'.
    Somebody with more gumption & business savvy than me needs to figure out a way for comic geeks to get to visit a place that would hold a proper collection where we can look, read and smell those wonderfully musty old tomes but not have to actually keep up with them in our own house.

Consultant of Cool

This, by the way, should be a wake up call to anyone hoarding thousands of these things...the people who has nostalgia for comics and longboxes are starting to die off and when they do die, their heirs are just heading to ebay to get rid of them for as much as they can in what is going to be an ever softer market for non-marquee titles (i.e X-Men #1). I am not a doomsayer, by any means, but as I've gotten older I have definitely realized that having thousands of "valuable" comics sit in boxes in the basement is not optimal...getting rid of them has been a breath of fresh air.

Consultant of Cool

I've had the same thoughts. I figure at some point I'll sell off all my comics and out-of-print collections. Hopefully they'll find a kind new home. When I'm old I'll just rely on my trusty digital copies. My partner sure wouldn't know what the hell to do with all of it. I'd hate for it all to just end up in a Goodwill or other charity shop.

Quote Originally Posted by malonine View Post
    I'd hate for it all to just end up in a Goodwill or other charity shop.
    It will only be there for a couple of days before it's "processed" to a recycling facility.

Dean of Cool University Acrid_Gunsmoke's Avatar

Yep, pretty much the main reason why I'm moving more and more to digital. I've only got around 25 long boxes, but the last time I moved....that pretty much cinched it. Moving those damned things is THE WORST.

I had 4 longboxes filled with 1970-2000s comics. Started off last year posting them on craigslist for $300 and lowered the price every week for a year. Sold them last week for $80. That just made me sad, considering how much money I spent on them. My wife was the voice of reason though. I would have shipped them to England and they would still be sitting around collecting dust. I still have my tpbs and iPad so it's all good.
    Last edited by starman; 01-11-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    He is the Star Lord. Respect him!

Banned

Brian, not to worry. People for whom these comics have significance will never die off. There will always be readers who like imaginative and well-done stories, and ones that were done with a high level of craft and creativity

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bolland View Post
    Well, in a few words: You can't take 'em with you."
    Pretty much, dammit...

I've sold off 95% of my collections twice, once in the late 70's and again in the late 80's and both times it's just started growing again like some kind of benign tumour... I'm currently at around 40 longboxes, containing a few gems and a hell of a lot of mulch-in-waiting....

Between digital and intentions of moving/downsizing in 2013, Something.Must.Be.Done....

Cheers (Trying v hard not to think what the 70's disjectia would fetch today... failing... sobbing piteously...)
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Banned

Love the Hand of Doom cover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast