Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bang Theory In The Comic Shop - The Morning After

Administrator

Default Big Bang Theory In The Comic Shop - The Morning After

"We were looking for a recommendation about comic books?"

"I recommend you don't open a store and sell them."
    Ahead of last night's Big Bang Theory, Bleeding Cool ran a "pre-emptive strike", running thoughts on their favourite comic book stores by a number of our female readers, and challenging what looked like a rather negative portrayal of comic books, their readers and their stores. Just to give people an alternative viewpoint and something to easily point friends, family and colleagues to, if it were needed. We even got a little bit of off-the-record official backup.

So what did we learn from last night's episode? After, you know, it actually aired?

That comic book stores are hostile places for all women, from the other customers rather than the owners though, with the store owner having to resort to threatening to hose his patrons down, and that superhero comics are really... what's the word?
    "There was a lot of action, the story moved along at a brisk pace, it was overall, what's the word I'm looking for?" - Amy

"Stupid" - Penny

"So stupid." - Amy
    Thor, God Of Thunder #2 by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic there.
    "One page only had the word Brakadoom" - Bernadette
    It didn't really.

But that's okay because these stupid superheroes are strangely addictive. Because of their massive stupid plot holes, they gain new life based on what you bring to them to fill them in.

Shop owner Stuart first recommended DC's Fables - though issue one, rather than the more meaty, cheaper and more sensible first trade paperback. But Penny prefers Thor because he's hot, something Stuart has to agree with. But maybe Penny, Bernadette and Amy might have had a more rewarding experience if they'd gone with Stuart's advice..

But you know what? It could have been worse. They did get over, in part, the addictive nature of some comic books, which could be appealing. Fables got a decent plug. And I'm sure Jeph Loeb loved to hear the Red Hulk get so much attention.

But, yeah, it's still The Television Show That Hates You.

So, despite their initial protestations, the girls end up enjoying super-hero comic books and. . . that's bad?

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    "I recommend you don't open a store and sell them."
    Seems legit.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I find it ironic that they ignore the store owner's recommendation and then get upset because of what they picked out.
    Message to comic book newcomers: tell the store employee what you like and then actually follow their recommendations.
    lest you try to find synonyms for 'stupid'. Somehow the world was made so that reading a book your not interested in is far worse then watching a movie your not interested in.

Very Cool

I talked to someone yesterday and she told me that she found it offensive, she asked me what did I thought of it and I said to her I didn't, some jokes may have step over some lines but overall I enjoyed the discussions. My reasoning is that in the store Stewart WAS helpful even though some of his customers where creeps he tried to make the girls as comfortable as he could, he walked them through the picking of the comics process, he even suggested fables to them and I'm quoting here: "If I we're you I'd go with fables #1 the artwork is sophisticated, is intelligently written and it doesn't objectify or stereotype women" (The one thing I don't get is why he recommends the issue instead of the trade paperback) but penny picks Thor probably because of the movie and even though they didn't like it at first I think once their discussion begun they got into it. After watching the episode I think CBS should change their promo campaign because that I did found offensive.
    Last edited by dominicanjoker; 01-11-2013 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    [/INDENT]Thor, God Of Thunder #2 by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic there.
    "One page only had the word Brakadoom" - Bernadette
    It didn't really.
    The only reason I see to their disapproval to Jason Aaron's Thor is that TBBT is owned by Warner. The story has almost no reference to super heroics and is deeply grounded on mythology, is ambitious and new readers friendly.

Whoever was the writer of this episode is a hate filled man/woman.
    If you like this comment you may like to pop by at http://quadrinhosemquestao.com/tag/thomaz-rocha/ ^^

I think the problem with the Big Bang Theory tends to be the strange balance of their writers, with some embracing nerd culture with open arms because they're fans too and other writers who seem to think that just the act of reading a comic or liking sci-fi is the punchline.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcEwan View Post
    I think the problem with the Big Bang Theory tends to be the strange balance of their writers, with some embracing nerd culture with open arms because they're fans too and other writers who seem to think that just the act of reading a comic or liking sci-fi is the punchline.
    I can agree to that.

I still think this nerdrage is hilarious and every bit as bad some things shown in the sitcom.
    For some it probably really is a case of "if the shoe fits and I'm ashamed of it deep down inside, then I'm gonna hafta hate/ blame the show."
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by thomazroc View Post
    Whoever was the writer of this episode is a hate filled man/woman.
    Shows like this are usually room-writen, meaning that there are a lot of hands in the script. I would be very surprised if any particular joke originated with the credited writer, often times it is the best joke floated by a group of writers that make it in.

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    So, despite their initial protestations, the girls end up enjoying super-hero comic books and. . . that's bad?
    I watched the episode and afterwards went "The internet essentially just got trolled." They put out a horrid promo that they knew would drive all the fans on the net insane, but yet make them watch the episode to dare see how they'd make fun of us again.

And we really weren't made that much fun of at all. Showed how the girls could actually get into the comics and have the same conversations the rest of us have. The plug Stuart gave for Fables for them to read made sense even though I kept thinking the minute they asked about what to read copies of Sandman would somehow magically appear in their hands.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast