Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Dies At The End\'s Surreal And Extreme Anti-Piracy Warning

Administrator

Default John Dies At The End\'s Surreal And Extreme Anti-Piracy Warning

As Don Coscarelli's film of John Dies at the End rolls out via VOD services, ahead of a limited US theatrical release on January 25th, Magnet Pictures have published an anti-piracy campaign video that borrows both footage and a surreal attitude from the movie.

And do pay heed to the "graphic images" warning at the start of this clip.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Z8eq0xrqU[/youtube]

I shall get into my US iTunes account and download this as soon as I'm over my crappy Christmas lung fit. I love Coscarelli and this book seems like a great match for his sensibilities.

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

I'm surprised you haven't seen this already Brendon, I caught it at the Leeds Film Festival and as a fan of Coscarelli's work I think it is the best thing he's done. It builds on the tone in Bubba Hotep and is a great mesh of humour and horror.
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't seen this already Brendon, I caught it at the Leeds Film Festival and as a fan of Coscarelli's work I think it is the best thing he's done. It builds on the tone in Bubba Hotep and is a great mesh of humour and horror.
    It's only played at select festivals to date. Theatrical release isn't until January for the US and then rolling out nationally/internationally after that. They have done an on-demand release first - in the US only (grrrrr).

Have watched this a few times over the last few days and it is really good, albeit slightly different/truncated from the book (which I did not initially love but has been growing on me over the months - especially after reading the vastly superior sequel).

Quote Originally Posted by AMDin View Post
    It's only played at select festivals to date. Theatrical release isn't until January for the US and then rolling out nationally/internationally after that. They have done an on-demand release first - in the US only (grrrrr).
    Yeah, the limited release so far is a bit disappointing - I just assumed that if I'd been able to get to it at Leeds it would've been on at one of the horror film festivals around London earlier in the year and Brendon would've seen it there.

I'm definitely up for watching it again and will be buying the DVD as soon as it's out. If we can't have Bubba Nosferatu then John Dies At The End is the next best thing, I reckon
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Default Absolutely the way to roll out an indie film these days.

Given that most theatres would rather be showing blockbusters, this seems like a really good way to generate word-of-mouth for the film. Indie films and documentaries are low priority for the entertainment industry, so getting them out there to paying customers via on demand video services rather than pretending they'll get a big launch in the theatres is much more realistic.

I can't begin to count the number of movies I wanted to see that released in only one or two theatres in the entire Los Angeles area, often to acclaim and very favorable press, only to be forgotten by the time they released on DVD or digital download.

Frankly, if I were Netflix or iTunes, I'd run a service that highlighted all the film festival winners, indie films, animations, and documentaries, particularly the ones that haven't gotten distribution. Not everyone has a theatre willing to run anything but the top 3 or 4 movies in their home town.

Quote Originally Posted by twistmeyer View Post
    Frankly, if I were Netflix or iTunes, I'd run a service that highlighted all the film festival winners, indie films, animations, and documentaries, particularly the ones that haven't gotten distribution. Not everyone has a theatre willing to run anything but the top 3 or 4 movies in their home town.
    Internationally please and thank you, but absolutely I agree. I still do love going to the giant movieplexes and whatnot, and live in a very film-friendly city, but I would absolutely love this as an option, especially if the other alternative is never having a chance to see the film.

Consultant of Cool

Never heard of this film - but this anti-piracy warning done in such zestful good humour makes me want to go buy it! Well played!

Makes me want to see it for free haha jk

I got the book for an X-Mas present. I can't wait to dive into it and then (hopefully) watch the movie when I am done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast