Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hoopes From Scamming Comics To Scamming Games

Administrator

Default Josh Hoopes From Scamming Comics To Scamming Games

Josh Hoopes is a con man operating in the comics industry.

Over many years, we have covered his attempts to con publishers by taking assignments for small amounts of money, hire artists to do the work for him for large amounts of money and then disappear, leaving publishers believing they have work they have paid for and artists unpaid, not knowing where their art is until they see it in print.

Pretending to be an agent working for the comics industry and requiring people to pay money to hire top class artists for very little money

Pretending to be Art Adams looking for cover work (TokyoPop were stung by this)

Selling sketches purporting to be by Todd McFarlane and Art Adams (Mike Burkey was stung like this)

He tried to pally up with Rob Granito in what must have been a Bleeding Cool baiting scam.

We even caught him selling mechanical equipment from his place of work on eBay.

He is, to put it bluntly, a complete shit. We have an effect however, a relative who has now cut ties with him, told me how he used to use my name as a swear word. And we have managed to stop scams before the money has been handed over, thanks to our relentless hounding of the man. And we have managed to persuade Paypal to hand back thousands, though its still a drop in the ocean.

And now it seems he has moved industries, possibly to escape Bleeding Cool's attention, to gaming.

Posing as a young programer on DeviantArt, using the new pseudonym Tucker Doud and the user name locopens, Josh Hoopes replied to a jobs wanted advert for an open source game..
    Hello. I saw your posting and am interested in the art job. Included is a link of my work for consideration. Please if you have any questions please ask. Tucker.D locopens@hotmail.com

P.S I could do this job for $500 but am negotiable
    Which seemed odd as the listing was for a C/C++ programmer. Once Josh realised this mistake, he suddenly decided that yes, he was a C/C++ programmer. He found someone else's samples and used them as his own. He got a job for $200 down payment and $200 on delivery.

He delivered some code but demanded full payment before sending it all - the payment was now going to a PayPal address for Josh Hoopes. The purchaser paid him without checking it. They then realised their error, they had just been sent randomly cut and pasted code from a completely different project.

At which point Josh Hoopes chose to cut any communication with the individual. DeviantArt's response was clear, they couldn't do anything and didn't seem minded to act against Josh.
    Unfortunately it appears that your issue involves a private transaction with another member.

Because deviantART was not involved in the agreement between you, was not involved in the payment process or in the delivery of the goods involved we have no means by which to confirm any of the details in this transaction and because we cannot confirm any of the relevant details we cannot intervene here.

When you enter into an agreement of this nature with another member you must assume all responsibility as deviantART is not in a position to moderate any disputes which may arise so we cannot assist you with this issue; you will have to either continue to resolve this yourself or simply accept the loss.

In either case I hope that you will be more cautious in the future; we can always offer you some friendly, non-legal, advice on the matter if you ever find yourself wanting to enter into another private transaction in the future.
    I'd ask gaming website who have their own sources and lines of inquiry to keep an eye out for this man. He has taken hundreds and thousands of dollars from comic people, often those who can least afford it.

It looks like this is not an isolated case, "Tucker Doud"'s deviantArt page is full of people calling him a scammer...

Sure, Darth Vader killed those Jedi younglings, but does even *he* deserve to have his picture associated with this guy?

Zen Master of Cool

How is it that no one has beaten the crap out of this guy?

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tralfaz View Post
    How is it that no one has beaten the crap out of this guy?
    Do you want to get shit on your hands?
    Oh come on! You're going to kill me because I had fake sex on graph paper with a girl who barely spoke to you in real life?!?
    - Dr. Venture, Past Tense, The Venture Brothers

Exceedingly Cool

How is it he still has a Paypal account?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Because Paypal really doesn't give a shit. They make their % and that's all they care about. While they've helped give some of the money back, until they're legally forced to cut him off they won't. I wonder if he's taking people for more than 20k a year, at that point Paypal sends a 1099 (a tax form) and there's a bigger paper trail. The only thing I can think of is eventually if Paypal keeps refunding money here or there it's going to cause him a negative bank balance and hopefully screw up his Chex Systems report, which will prevent him from opening a new bank account. Unless he's having friends or relatives open accounts.

As in the case with WikiLeaks, PayPal will only step in and shut the account and its funds when it's politically advantageous. Until then, they be raking in the fees.

VP in Charge of Cool

Until Hoopes crosses somebody with deep pockets and an itch to take serious civil action against him or someone with enough clout to get him prosecuted, he's able to ride this out on a "Presumption of innocence".

Paypal isn't going to block anyone on allegations over small sums. If that happened, they'd lose honest customers who are on the flip side of such claims (when scammers falsely accuse honest dealers to get refunds and skip out with both the money and the merchandise, for instance).

If Hoopes ever gets conviceted, however, that could be enough to get Paypal to bar any account of his on a preumption of guilt because not reacting to allegations about a convicted con-man might open them to liability. As long as he's not convicted, though, they can't presume guilt.

Hopefully, sooner or later the cumulative cases will be enough to get the attention of a federal prosecutor (unless the statute of limitations runs out on some of these cases in the interim. )

Exceedingly Cool
    Over the horizon. Keep going, you'll find it.

How is it that nobody, and I mean nobody, has just walked up and beaten the crap out of this guy? Despite "not wanting to get shit on their hands" this guy just keeps on rolling.

Mob justice is called for.

With Tolerance For Shit Ticks On Society...

Marq

You know what someone should do? Take all the information that's accumulated on this guy, his multiple alias's, con jobs, etc, post it all into a concise video (by text or voice, whichever) showing his ugly mug so people know who he is, and post that sucker onto Youtube. Right off the bat, it won't make a bit of difference, but eventually it'll gain enough views (specially if it's linked to by one particular website...) to start front paging. If we can't stop the guy, at least we can give this enough visibility where people will recognize this little $#!t so he can't con people as easily.
    "Walking bones!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast