Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J J Abrams Has Officially Turned Down Star Wars Episode VII

Administrator

Default J J Abrams Has Officially Turned Down Star Wars Episode VII

In a Star TrekInto Darkness interview given to Empire magazine, JJ Abrams has clarified that he did, in fact, meet to discuss his directing the next Star Wars movie but he had his reasons and turned it down.

Here's the apt bit.

This image comes from the current iPad version of Empire which is full of engaging readables and costs just 69p. Get it.

I'm surprised that Abrams was a real candidate, I have to admit. Maybe it makes more sense as a Trek-spoiling strategy.

My money is still pinned to Gary Ross - and so, for that matter, are my hopes. We can apparently expect an official announcement from Lucasfilm next month.

...I can see how it all went down:

KK: "We'd like you to do Star Wars VII, JJ!"

JJ: "Oh goodie!"

KK: "But there's a catch. You can't use any lens flares."

JJ: "Oh. Sorry, but I have another film scheduled to blind my audiences with."
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...I can see how it all went down:

KK: "We'd like you to do Star Wars VII, JJ!"

JJ: "Oh goodie!"

KK: "But there's a catch. You can't use any lens flares."

JJ: "Oh. Sorry, but I have another film scheduled to blind my audiences with."
    Abrams Star Trek was bloody brilliant. Really looking forward to the next one as well. The lens flare did not really bother me.

I wish someone had blinded me whilst watching the star wars prequels. I am not excited for the new films at all and think Abrams is onto a winner with trek, so why bother risking it all on a franchise which has not had a good episode in 26 years.

I was six when Star Wars came out. The one that was just called Star Wars, without any of the roman numerals or extra bits in it's name. I was nine when Empire came out. Star Wars was my world for a great many years of my early life. It was the first comic book that I bought that didn't have Batman in it. The comics were the bulk of what was keeping me interested in Star Wars for the past twenty years. Between the prequels and the news about Dark Horse, I'm not sure just how much I care about watching a trio of 70 year olds reunite to run around in silly outfits for two hours, most whom have not found work in front of a camera since the Reagan administration. I'm really okay with Abrams passing on this. He has better things to do with his time.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason ― Mark Twain

Wrote the Book on Cool GreenCatcher's Avatar

This is disapointing, it's obvious watching the '09 Trek movie that he was born to direct Star Wars. The tone, while it did work for this new series of movies isn't Star Trek. It always comes down to that analogy that Star Trek is classic and Star Wars is rock.
    Also we will never have a shot of a giant lens flare circle moving away to show a Death Star.
    "They used to call the devil the father of lies. But for someone whose sin is meant to be pride, you'd think that lying would leave something of a sour taste. So my theory is that when the devil wants to get something out of you, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to hell." Mr. Easterman

Wow. Lots of SW hate. Honestly, I think Abram's sensibilities fit Star Wars better than Trek (not that I'm knocking JJ's Star Trek flick because it was almost my favorite movie that year, I liked it that much) and had he not been involved with Trek, I'm positive he would've signed on for SW and I would've been eternally happy.

Quote Originally Posted by uz000 View Post
    Abrams Star Trek was bloody brilliant. Really looking forward to the next one as well. The lens flare did not really bother me.
    You started out so well but then

Quote Originally Posted by uz000 View Post
    I wish someone had blinded me whilst watching the star wars prequels. I am not excited for the new films at all and think Abrams is onto a winner with trek, so why bother risking it all on a franchise which has not had a good episode in 26 years.
    While the prequels could've been better, I wouldn't call them bad either.
    "Walking bones!"

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatcher View Post
    This is disapointing, it's obvious watching the '09 Trek movie that he was born to direct Star Wars. The tone, while it did work for this new series of movies isn't Star Trek. It always comes down to that analogy that Star Trek is classic and Star Wars is rock.
    Also we will never have a shot of a giant lens flare circle moving away to show a Death Star.
    That was my feeling as well... the '09 Trek movie was not a bad Star Wars movie, but definitely not Star Trek.

Exceedingly Cool

well good?
    i dont think 2 competing franchise handled by same person are good idea anyway

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Definite conflict of interest there, right? Although this probably would make Abrams the king of all nerds, ever.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by MicroZone View Post
    Between the prequels and the news about Dark Horse
    What news? Are you referring to that unverified rumor someone posted on a blog?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast