Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: The Google Doodle Red Riding Hood Comic Book For Christmas

  1. #1
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    22,251

    Default The Google Doodle Red Riding Hood Comic Book For Christmas

    Celebrating Grimm's Fairy Tales, today's Google Doodle is a twenty-odd "mini-page" comic book telling the story of Red Riding Hood.

    Here it is in full. I think it's rather lovely.


  2. #2

    Default

    Uh. Isn't it called "Red Riding Hood", not "Red Robin Hood"?

  3. #3
    Captain Cool uz000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,685

    Default

    That is cool. For another very different take on Red Riding Hood see this music video:

    The Real Tuesday Weld - Me & Mr. Wolf (Official Music Video) - YouTube

  4. #4
    Dean of Cool University Mart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    It is good stuff, do we know the artist? Have there been any other extended doodles, bar this and Little Nemo?
    Visit http://dangermart.blogspot.com/ for comic reviews

  5. #5
    Zen Master of Cool Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    856

    Default

    I think it's rather lovely.
    It's a little more so on Google's website, if you can still catch it, since the panels scroll horizontally and thus Red Riding Hood appears to walk from one scene into another, but yeah, 'tis very pretty.

  6. #6
    Wrote the Book on Cool MattMoylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    430

    Default

    I think that, using Scott McCloud's definition, this wouldn't qualify as 'comics' since the images are not juxtaposed. They occupy the same space, just like animation.

    *feeling snooty*
    Matt Moylan
    Managing Editor UDON Entertaiment
    Writer Bravoman
    Follow me on Twitter: @Lilformers

  7. #7
    Bleeding Cool Fysh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere north of Hadrian's Wall...
    Posts
    5,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMoylan View Post
    I think that, using Scott McCloud's definition, this wouldn't qualify as 'comics' since the images are not juxtaposed. They occupy the same space, just like animation.

    *feeling snooty*
    I don't know about that. It's sequential artwork with the reader in control of the rate of change of panels; there's no voice over or moving parts of any individual image, and it's merely the viewing interface they've contrived that places the images into the same place.

    Looks like comics to me, especially when laid out as above by Rich...
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

  8. #8
    Wrote the Book on Cool MattMoylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    I don't know about that. It's sequential artwork with the reader in control of the rate of change of panels; there's no voice over or moving parts of any individual image, and it's merely the viewing interface they've contrived that places the images into the same place.

    Looks like comics to me, especially when laid out as above by Rich...
    I think 'juxtaposed' is really an important part of the definition. The Red Riding hood story is essentially textless children's picture book, which wouldn't count as a comic either.

    How Rich laid it out above, yes that'd be a comic. But it's not laid out that way.
    Matt Moylan
    Managing Editor UDON Entertaiment
    Writer Bravoman
    Follow me on Twitter: @Lilformers

  9. #9
    Bleeding Cool Matt Spatola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mount Joy, PA
    Posts
    10,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMoylan View Post
    I think 'juxtaposed' is really an important part of the definition. The Red Riding hood story is essentially textless children's picture book, which wouldn't count as a comic either.

    How Rich laid it out above, yes that'd be a comic. But it's not laid out that way.
    Not sure that really matters. It's just cool.
    The Comics Ticker- my new comics blog


    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/mattspatola/venger-web-sig22222.jpg

    Follow me on: Twitter l Facebook l Email me l The Venger Blog

  10. #10
    Bleeding Cool Fysh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere north of Hadrian's Wall...
    Posts
    5,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMoylan View Post
    I think 'juxtaposed' is really an important part of the definition. The Red Riding hood story is essentially textless children's picture book, which wouldn't count as a comic either.

    How Rich laid it out above, yes that'd be a comic. But it's not laid out that way.
    Is it sequential art, conveying a narrative through the sequence of images with the reader in control of the rate of progression of images? If yes, then in my book it's a comic.

    I don't recall McCloud saying that an individual page must have more than one panel to count as comics. I reject out of hand any notion that text or dialogue is a required part of a comic, not least because by that definition magnificent works like Mister Amperduke would somehow not be considered "comics", and that is a loss for the medium.
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •