Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Fourteen Thoughts About Fourteen Comics - Hawkeye, Empowered, All-New X-Men, Nightwing, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Moloch, A Plus X, Ultimates, Uncanny X-Force, Saga, MacGyver, Supreme,

  1. #1
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    22,236

    Default Fourteen Thoughts About Fourteen Comics - Hawkeye, Empowered, All-New X-Men, Nightwing, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Moloch, A Plus X, Ultimates, Uncanny X-Force, Saga, MacGyver, Supreme,



    Catwoman finds that deliriously happy spot between detailed, convincing artwork and bouncy, fluid expression. None better than shown here, a party in full swing, with so man moments to pore over. Even the lines of the speech balloons seem to indicate someone is diving...



    Wonder Woman plays the stranger-in-a-strange-land schtick, but this time she is the tour guide. She's been here, she's played the God-out-of-water, and now it's her turn to help out. A relaxing reversal of roles for a deity.



    Moloch takes the dark, twisted, Nixonesque character from issue one and makes him Veidt's patsy, everything he once was, destroyed, brought down to nothing. Even where he thinks he is a useful, unique player, he is only being played. A bit off a downer, frankly, as the plot retells Watchmen from another perspective. Hmm, you know I really hope no one ever actually reads Before Watchmen before Watchmen. You'll get a lot of repetition.



    Uncanny X-Force gives us Brian Braddock as Brian Exposition. Could anyone say the above worth a straight face? Rick Remender ably fixes the toys he broke and puts them back in the box before leaving, this his final issue. In fact he throws in a couple of extra spares for good luck...



    Hawkeye is basically the best comic Marvel are putting out bar none, and this is the best issue so far by a long arrow. In essence this is a contrast between Hawkeye dealing with terrorist AIM agents as an Avenger, but then being noble to carry that competence to the rest of his life, from setting up his sound system to dealing with property bully boys. But at neither task giving up, despite the temptation. And then on top of that, storytelling devices from side scrolling computer games, electronic diagrams and small boxes that tell so much story in as charming a way as possible. The best value for your three dollars today.



    That is unless you need a little semi-nude girl on girl action from Empowered. Don't worry, it's not sexist, it's ironic.



    Ther's more nudity in Saga of course, even if its of the giant testicle kind. Family family fights get exacerbated due to magic and science... but so do family coming-together-agains.



    Nightwing of course brings us the death of the family.



    While A Plus X has the regrets of a divorce. Man, is this a tumblr feels post already? It feels like it...



    Ultimates remind us that Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch's run on the book was a really really long time ago.



    All New X-Men gives us plenty of foreshadowing for the Jean Grey/Emma Frost clash that we just know has to be coming. And somehow I can't see it looking like the panel from Empowered.



    Happy gets into the Christmas spirit. You know, I'm with the tiny blue flying horse. I've come over all optimistic suddenly.



    Until Supreme drags the world if Invincible in and we start getting super heroines suffering domestic abuse. this is no good, I need something escapist, I need nostalgia, I need fantasy, I need...



    MacGyver. That'll do pig, that'll do...

    Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London.


  2. #2
    Bleeding Cool not him - HIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    not there - THERE
    Posts
    8,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Hawkeye is basically the best comic Marvel are putting out bar none, and this is the best issue so far by a long arrow. In essence this is a contrast between Hawkeye dealing with terrorist AIM agents as an Avenger, but then being noble to carry that competence to the rest of his life, from setting up his sound system to dealing with property bully boys. But at neither task giving up, despite the temptation. And then on top of that, storytelling devices from side scrolling computer games, electronic diagrams and small boxes that tell so much story in as charming a way as possible. The best value for your three dollars today.
    Today was my jumping on point for Hawkeye, as I missed the first issue and figured I'd just get the first few issues in the trade. And of course, this is the first issue that won't be in the first trade. A very good book in a year that seems to have had no shortage of very good books. Let's hope some more people start noticing and actually buying the damn things again!

  3. #3
    Bleeding Cool Cavemold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11,063

    Default

    LOVED HAWKGUY. i mean hawk eye, Loved X-OMANOWAR , Loved Harbringer, HATED WITH VENOM PASSION WONDER WOMAN.

  4. #4
    Bleeding Cool Maybeland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,283

    Default

    Have they toned down the bros on Hawkeye? I couldn't make it past the first issue, please tell me they did away with that.

  5. #5
    Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Happy, I dropped after #2. I find it boring and it just seems like a predictable story underneath all the arguing with the little blue horse. It's not as clever as it thinks it is.

  6. #6
    Dean of Cool University
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    Can we put a moratorium on the phrase "that'll do pig" for a few years?

  7. #7
    VP in Charge of Cool betty boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Your darkest thought
    Posts
    1,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post


    Moloch takes the dark, twisted, Nixonesque character from issue one and makes him Veidt's patsy, everything he once was, destroyed, brought down to nothing. Even where he thinks he is a useful, unique player, he is only being played. A bit off a downer, frankly, as the plot retells Watchmen from another perspective. Hmm, you know I really hope no one ever actually reads Before Watchmen before Watchmen. You'll get a lot of repetition.
    Likeliest outcome of anyone reading any of the Bogof Watchmen before actual watchmen is that they never get as far as Watchmen
    “Everything in life is just for a while.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

    --------------------------------

    "DC comics are for ☛□☚'s"

    "Batman Eternal my @¬$£"

    "Marvel Essential collections make great colouring books"
    --Betty Boolean

  8. #8
    Bleeding Cool Cavemold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maybeland View Post
    Have they toned down the bros on Hawkeye? I couldn't make it past the first issue, please tell me they did away with that.
    No bro. .....

  9. #9
    Way Cool JamesMcEwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    62

    Default

    The passage of time in the Ultimate universe used to drive me crazy when I was younger. Ultimates seemed to move in real time (as hinted in the referenced panel) yet in ultimate Spidey only around 18 months pass between the first issue and Peter Parker's death, while crossing over with the Ultimates on a regular basis.

  10. #10
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    397

    Default

    This was the first issue of Redhood and the Outlaws and I have a silly question. Why does Red Arrow or Arsenal where that baseball cap? Is he going the Ron Howard hairline way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •