Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Episodes Of Walking Dead To Be Rebroadcast In Black And White

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Old Episodes Of Walking Dead To Be Rebroadcast In Black And White

Patrick Dane writes for Bleeding Cool

This seems like an odd move from AMC.

According to a press release, passed throughThe Hollywood Reporter, we learn that TheWalking Dead is going to re-screeen its first season and half of its second season in black and white from February 14th.

Obviously there was enough of an audience for the black and white broadcast of the pilot which aired back in the summer that AMC feel encouraged to apply black and white colour correction to plenty more.

While I am sure this version will have it's fans, I can't say I am going to be tripping over myself to catch it. The thinking here is said to be in making the show closer to the 'source material', which doesn't really justify it.

We are operating in a different medium here with different strengths. I don't need a reminder that the TV Show used to be a graphic novel.

In some ways this is like re-mixing the Harry Potter movies so that the audience would periodically hear a a page-turning sound effect. 'Closer to the book' and a novelty but not really how the adaption was conceived.

Oh well. It means they can release more Blu-Rays with these versions for fans to buy. Because they don't sell enough of those already.

This was also how sometime showrunner, Frank Darabont, got to have his film The Mist seen in the way he intended. He originally shot the film in colour with an eye to it being seen in black and white after his producers and distributors thought audiences probably wouldn't flock to see a small black and white horror film. Probably a fair assumption so Darabont compromised and got his black and white director's cut on the eventual home release.

The motivations with Walking Dead seem a little less sincere. They appear to be more interested in milking the zombified cow for a little longer than seeking to deliver on the program-maker's artistic vision.

What utter pretentious idiocy.

I would have thought the B&W treatment was more to hark back to old school horror/zombie films, myself.

I recall reading that Darabont originally wanted the theatrical release of The Mist to be B&W (hence the fact that a lot of scene compositions look much better in b&w than in colour) but the studio insisted on colour (and a reduced budget) in exchange for him going with the darker ending. The B&W version is much better than the colour, not just for the scene compositions looking better but also because the Sfx look better too.
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Why not just make a picture setting on ones own TV set and just watch it in B&W all the time.

I do this with later season eps of The Andy Griffith show. Show just doesn't seem right in color. So I make it black & white.

VP in Charge of Cool betty boolean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrFever View Post
    Why not just make a picture setting on ones own TV set and just watch it in B&W all the time.

I do this with later season eps of The Andy Griffith show. Show just doesn't seem right in color. So I make it black & white.
    I used to own a colourised video of Night of the Living dead and would always adjust the colour on my TV to B&W. Seems to me if people want this they can do it themselves
    “Everything in life is just for a while.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

--------------------------------

"DC comics are for ☛□☚'s"

"Batman Eternal my @¬$£"

"Marvel Essential collections make great colouring books"
    --Betty Boolean

I don't get the problem. It seems like a cool idea to me.

I don't the think it'll make the first season any better though.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFever View Post
    Too much effort I guess.

気持ち悪い

Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    I would have thought the B&W treatment was more to hark back to old school horror/zombie films, myself.
    Bingo.

For those who haven't seen the series before, it'll actually be scarier, especially if they watch it at night with the lights off. It'll be Night of the Living Dead cranked up to 11.
    BELIEVE

Cool

"The motivations with Walking Dead seem a little less sincere. They appear to be more interested in milking the zombified cow for a little longer than seeking to deliver on the program-maker's artistic vision."

This is a bit of a pessimistic view no? Call me naive if you want, but this isn't baseless since the source material IS in b&w. Also, The Walking Dead was never a "graphic novel," it's comic book series that is being collected into trades. I'm sorry to be so picky here, but there is a difference and it bugged me to read that (probably cuz' I'm a giant nerd). Additionally, why shouldn't we be reminded that this show is based on a comic? I think that we should be reminded every single episode that you can go to any LCS to pick up the comic book version. I mean, shouldn't we be supporting the comic book industry as much as possible?

This is how photographers get models to do nude shots. "It'll be published in black and white; therefore it's 'art'."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast