Thread: Lincoln And Argo Lead The 2013 Golden Globes Nominations

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Lincoln And Argo Lead The 2013 Golden Globes Nominations

Next month will bring the announcement of the 2013 Golden Globes winners, and for those who would like to start placing their bets early we now have the full list of nominees.

Only one of the two Abraham Lincoln biopics released this year have made it onto the list, and it's Steven Spielberg's slightly more sober, vampireless interpretation of events with Daniel Day-Lewis in the leading role. Lewis has been nominated for Best Actor, Sally Field for Best Actress, Spielberg for Best Director, the film itself for Best Motion Picture Drama, Tommy Lee Jones for Best Supporting Actor, with Tony Kushner in line for a potential Best Screenplay award, and John Williams down for Best Original Score.

Another big contender is Ben Affleck's directing/acting/producing featureArgo, with five nominations. The Iranian-set thriller, which is loosely based on a true story, will be fighting Lincoln for Best Drama, along with Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, Kathryn Bigelow's Zero Dark Thirty, and Ang Lee's Life of Pi. All of the films in the Best Drama category are accompanied by at least another couple of nominations apiece.

Comedy and musical features get their own category, and this year the nominees include Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom, and the latest big-screen adaptation of LesMiserables, which snagged Best Actor/Actress nominations for Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman.

The full list of nominees can be found over on the official Golden Globes website. Some solid competition this year, though I'd guess that Argo and Lincoln will probably run off with a few awards each.

VP in Charge of Cool

I could see Naomi Watts taking Best Actress in a Drama easily. She is nothing short of a revelation in THE IMPOSSIBLE. The film is amazing to begin with, but her performance has the nuances that ALL actors should strive for.

If those director noms are any indicator, the Oscars will be interesting. All five have previously won Oscars, albeit two of which for screenplay. My heart says Affleck for Argo, but I would enjoy a Tarantino acceptance speech.

I just don't find the Confederacy as compelling as vampires or zombies as an antagonist, so I passed on the Day Lewis Lincoln.

Banned

re: Lincoln

So I guess intentionally making Oscar-bait movies now works