Thread: Fan Review of The Art of Todd McFarlane

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Fan Review of The Art of Todd McFarlane

Jeffrey Sutman writes for Bleeding Cool

I pre-ordered The Art of Todd McFarlane : The Devils in the Details ?*on August 16, 2010 from Amazon. ?*So when I got confirmation that it had shipped; and finally received it in the mail, I was beyond thrilled. I was a kid on Christmas. I have loved Todd McFarlane's art since the first time I saw it in Amazing Spider-Man #300. ?*Seeing his art was mind blowing. It had so much energy, and was so different to what I was reading in the DC books at the time. And made me a Marvel fan. It's still a comic book memory that sticks out to this day. I've just turned 36, and I can remember where I was when I read it, and who bought it for me.

With 2 years of anticipation built up, I was worried that the book wouldn't live up to the hype I had built up for it in my head. ?*Luckily for me, it did, and then some. ?*McFarlane does a really nice job of giving the reader an overall view of his career, and going into depth on key milestones: from Marvel to Image Comics, and starting McFarlane Toys. And as I read along, I got a good sense of his "voice" from the commentary, and I was drawn into his personal history.

I know McFarlane's art is not everybody's cup of tea. We all have our own personal tastes. And that's cool. That's how it should be. But for me, McFarlane is a key figure in the time period when comics were the most fun for me. I miss those days. So reading, and looking back at McFarlane's art, was a real joy.

So, if you are a fan like I am, I highly recommend this book. And if you are an artist, thinking about putting out an art book, maybe give this a read through, just so you can see how to give your fans value for the money they spend.

VP in Charge of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar

Powerfully insightful and enlightening art criticism, Jeffrey. Bravo.

Consultant of Cool

Does it cover his DC work at all?

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dinosaur View Post
    Powerfully insightful and enlightening art criticism, Jeffrey. Bravo.
    Indeed. A penetrating and highly detailed analysis.

Wrote the Book on Cool saidestroyer's Avatar

But wait! There's more!

Needs more ZOMG.