Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neonomicon Banned In South Carolina

Administrator

Default Neonomicon Banned In South Carolina

Back in June, a South Carolina library pulled their copy of Neonomicon from the adultbookshelves, after a 14 year old girl withdrew it using her mother's library card, and her mother complained.

Yup.
    Learning of the library's decision to remove the book this month, Acacia O'Connor, project coordinator for the Kids' Right to Read Project, said that "they may be calling it 'deselection' but we have another name for it: censorship".

"Librarians are often our staunchest allies in the fight for the freedom to read; it is surprising that the library services director in this case is not working to defend that right. There are patrons in the district who do want to read books like Neonomicon and are not offended by its content," said O'Connor. "Those readers have the right to make up their own minds about whether they want to read the book and not have their choices dictated by the subjective views of others."
    I wonder if South Carolina are ready for the appearance of... something...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C7ZxKcUNPE[/youtube]

http://www.hudsonvalleyalmanacweekly...hudson-valley/

an exploration of super heroes in the hudson valley in new york

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Small-minded clerks is all most librarians are.

Exceedingly Cool

I have recently bought a knife, then stabbed myself with it repeatedly. Turns out, I started to bleed really badly!! I demand all knives to be banned!

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Hurray for book burning. Fahrenheit 451 I hear you calling. (Yes, I am aware that no books actually came to harm through flames, but were only removed and then probably thrown away).

Am I exaggerating? Yes, of course, but this is something you should start to fight at every step.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Consultant of Cool

OMG people, really?

Neonomicon isn't something I would consider "required reading" for fans of comics, graphic novels, or even Alan Moore fans. It was decent enough, sure, but there was a lot of titilation for titilation's sake, and about the same amount of artistic merit as Black Kiss, or any of the better Eros stuff from the 90's.

Where's the hew and cry over Birdland not being in Libraries? What about Ironwood? Who is standing up for the Playboy issue with Michonne's origin?

I read a lot of sound and fury here, but I feel it's signifying...nothing.

Dean of Cool University Stevaux The LEsser's Avatar

And the library discovered it had inadequately enforced age restrictions and took steps to correct. A huge drastic one but nothing untoward...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    OMG people, really?

Neonomicon isn't something I would consider "required reading" for fans of comics, graphic novels, or even Alan Moore fans. It was decent enough, sure, but there was a lot of titilation for titilation's sake, and about the same amount of artistic merit as Black Kiss, or any of the better Eros stuff from the 90's.

Where's the hew and cry over Birdland not being in Libraries? What about Ironwood? Who is standing up for the Playboy issue with Michonne's origin?

Hey everybody, take the day off, if you were ever wondering who gets to decide what is and isn't appropriate, what is and isn't art, who should make the decisions regarding creative license, freedom of speech and artistic appreciation, put your pencils down. Brian is the guy. Thanks Bri! I was so nervous about having to make my own decisions about things, thankfully you're here to let everyone know just what is and isn't appropriate.

Also Moore's comic is a horror comic. Yes there's sex in it, but no one would mistake Neonomicon as trying to appeal to the prurient interest. No one reads Neonomicon with one hand down their pants saying "Yeah, ejaculate monster yeah." And if they do, so what? That's not the point of the book. Someone could read "Little Women" with one hand down their pants going "Yeah Jo, yeah, comfort your sister, yeah you slut." So Birdland and Ironwood not being in libraries make sense since most libraries don't have an erotic section.

Who is standing up for Playboy? Yeah that last bastion of withered old man misogyny and yuppie dream peddling, those poor beleaguered freedom fighters. And the Michonne origin has since been reprinted and im sure will be collected and then your already grasping at straws statement will be even flimsier.

Bleeding Cool

"When a Library expels a book of mine and leaves an unexpurgated Bible lying around where unprotected youth and age can get hold of it, the deep unconscious irony of it delights me and doesnít anger me.Ē

"Censorship is telling a man he canít have a steak just because a baby canít chew it.Ē

-Mark Twain
    Traveling.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    OMG people, really?

Exactly how much "sound and fury" are you imagining, with only four short posts ahead of yours?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast