Thread: Grace Randolph's Between The Panels - Days Of Future Past

Administrator

Default Grace Randolph's Between The Panels - Days Of Future Past

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkd_sJqdJX8[/youtube]

Think About The Ink presents;
    [FONT=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', 'Bitstream Charter', Times, serif]Celebrate the upcoming X-Men Days of Future Past movie, hitting theaters in 2014, with a comics review. You love Professor X, Magneto, Mystique, Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Rogue and more so why not get to know those characters on the comic book page? Host Grace Randolph from Beyond The Trailer gives you an intro to reading X-Men comics from Marvel, like where to start and what you can pick up on shelves today! Enhance your X-Men Days of Future Past 2014 movie experience with a review of X-Men comics. And be sure to enjoy X-Men Days of Future Past in 2014, as Bryan Singer returns to the franchise and Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen return to face James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. Think About The Ink is presented by Bleeding Cool.[/FONT]

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

I gotta admit I never got into the classic Claremont era X-men. I only have seen the cartoon and got it all second hand from a friend who read all his dad's X-books in their attic. I got in thanks to the cartoon and started the actual books just after the Phallanx with Joe Mad on art as they went into space. Then Onslaught hit and I went full into X-men. In hindsight.. meh. It was a rather messy crossover and Operation Zero tolerance was rather just as messy. I kinda look at them now as guilty childhood and high school pleasures. They seem goofier (yet still trying to be all.. grrr so mature and extreme!) than the Claremont era 80s books and not as good as some of the 00s stuff like Morrison and Whedon.

I enjoyed both Morrison and Whedon on X-men. Whedon was more a throwback and traditional story, Whedon himself being a fanboy of the Claremont Era. I gladly have displayed in my room that awesome cover of Scott and Emma from issue 2 signed by Whedon and Cassidey. Ellis followingwas okay, but I really gave up on X-men and Marvel after that. David's X-Factor was a last hold out. All the other X-books and mega events just bored or seemed lame and directionless.

X-men is maybe one of the biggest 'soap opera for boys' superhero books around. Though clearly it isn't just the fanboys reading it. And the soap opera moniker is equally denoting good and bad on the franchise.

Yet I really wonder why they think they can cram a dense and continuity heavy story like Days of Future Past into a two hour film or why anyone would want to. It's like someone at Fox saw the name of the trade and heard there was giant robots and thought it would be a cool title, not realizing the difficulty of making it a film. Never mind meshing it with the last one which didn't even introduce 4/5ths of the first X-men team, nevermind the majority of characters from the second gen team of Days of Future Past in Claremont's run.

Plus who the hell thinks adding time travel to a movie franchise is going to help simplify and re-establish it?!

Well.. this is the studio that gave us X-3 and Wolvie Origins and Dragonball Evolution...