Thread: Under The Dome TV Adaptation Dropped By Showtime And Picked Up By CBS For Next Summer

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Under The Dome TV Adaptation Dropped By Showtime And Picked Up By CBS For Next Summer

We've just passed the one year anniversary of my last article about Brian K. Vaughan's TV adaptation of Under The Dome, a story about people living under a dome. In the far and misty days of November 2011, Showtime hired Vaughan to turn the novel into a 13 episode-long miniseries for their channel. Which he did ... on paper.

After making him do all that work, Showtime apparently dropped the project altogether, but the show has been resurrected and slated for broadcast over on CBS. Unlike the original commission, CBS are planning to skip the pilot and go straight-to-series, scheduling it for a summer 2013 run.

Based on the information in the press release, it seems that they'll still be using Vaughan's scripts, and he's also coming onboard as an executive producer.

For those who haven't read the book (I'll forgive you, since it's over 1000 pages long), Under The Dome is about a small town which one day inexplicably sprouts an enormous, transparent forcefield in the shape of a dome, which cuts them off from the outside world and eventually sends most of them batty with dome fever.

While we wait for a proper series trailer, here's a short trailer for the book.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQJmy6k8NNY[/youtube]

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Just...an awful book. I like to listen to schlocky audiobooks while taking my night time walk. I listened to this one last summer. I remember listening to the ending and I literally ripped my earbuds out and and slammed them on the sidewalk.
    -Asmodeus, by my side.

Wrote the Book on Cool Comedian's Avatar

I like the book. It's a very good book and has some great character studies. The ending is kind of cheesy but it's just ripped off straight from Philip K. Dick anyway. Still, it's worth reading. I'm looking forward to the adaptation.

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Sounds like a rip off of the Simpsons movie to me.

I loved the book, but I must correct something you write in the article:

The forcefield is not shaped like a dome. In fact, its shape is a minor plot point.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by joshy206 View Post
    I loved the book, but I must correct something you write in the article:

The forcefield is not shaped like a dome. In fact, its shape is a minor plot point.
    Ah, you're right of course. Title was leading me astray, and it's been a while since I've read the book.

Yes, the forcefield isn't a dome. Probably most people can guess at what shape it actually is, since a dome wouldn't present too much of a barrier to escape.