Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Hundred Thousand Copies Of An Eight Dollar Comic

Administrator

Default Two Hundred Thousand Copies Of An Eight Dollar Comic

Amazing Spider-Man #700. $7.99, out on December 26th. The seven hundredth issue and the last issue, before the relaunch as Superior Spider-Man.

And I hear that comic retailer preorders so far have topped two hundred thousand, which has to be some kind of record for such a high-cost item, and will bring in over one and a half million dollars.

The variant covers will have helped of course, the 1:200 Steve Ditko Variant, the 1:50 Anniversary Collage Variant, the 1:50 Marcos Martin Variant, the 1:50 Humberto Ramos Variant and the 1:700 Joe Quesada Variant.

But that and the follow-on Avenging Spider-Man #15.1 are the only comics Marvel will have out that week. And we'll probably find out what the hell is meant to be going on in Superior Spider-Man #1. So quite a lot of people might want to buy it.

I'd be impressed if they could sell 200,000 (a) without short term sales gimmicks to boost preorder sales to retailers and (b) if each of these 200,000 copies are actually bought by 200,000 individual walk in store customers. Cue snarky remark by Wacker in 5..4..3...2...1..

700 copies for joe Quesada varaint.. Seriously?

I wish i could look forward to this anyway, enjoy the issue people. I hope it doesn't disappoint

how many pages (without ads) will this be again? Waker if you're there, make your presence known!

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    The variant covers will have helped of course, the 1:200 Steve Ditko Variant, the 1:50 Anniversary Collage Variant, the 1:50 Marcos Martin Variant, the 1:50 Humberto Ramos Variant and the 1:700 Joe Quesada Variant.
    Your ratios are out. The Ditko IS 1:200, but the Quesada is now 1:100 (and there is a 1:150 sketch version) and the others are all "Order as many as you want... IF you rediculously over-order the regular in ever-escalating ammounts!" (Also known as "match-to" or "exceed" variants.) Retailers need to exceed 150%, 200%, and 300% (or something like that) of their orders of a previous issue (591, I believe) in order to get the Collage, Martin, or Ramos variants at all. But if they do they can order as many as they like.

(Which probably will work out to more like 1:10, 1:15, and 1:20 respectively, though you may find some retailers can't afford to get the Ramos variant at all.)

Exceedingly Cool

The Ditko cover was going to be the first variant I intentionally purchased. However, as it looks to be the rarest one, that plan may have to be shelved. I can see my local shop getting 2 copies of that, maybe.

I'd actually rather pay 8 dollars for a 50-60 page book 5-6 times a year than 3.99 every month for 22 pages.

Dean of Cool University Grendel's Avatar

I wonder how many copies of 598 are out there? Anybody know?

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Once again: I shall wait to fish it out of the discount bin in 6 months.

I'm bummed about this. I picked up 598 cause of the hype and I liked it, but with Spiderman at $4 an issue coming out so often and now issue 700 is that much? Sounds like an interesting story but count me out.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast