Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubai Bans V For Vendetta Mask

Administrator

Default Dubai Bans V For Vendetta Mask

The Guy Fawkes mask was a traditional British item, often used to create Guy Fawkes effigies for kids to beg for money with, and to be burnt on bonfires. They faded from use, so that when David Lloyd was researching V For Vendetta, he couldn't find a Guy Fawkes mask to use as reference, so created his own. That mask was faithfully recreated in the V For Vendetta movie, and has become a staple sight at protests of an anti-global nature. A familiar sight during the Arab uprisings this year. And conversely also everywhere in Bonfire Night in the UK now.

But not in Dubai. Not anymore.
    Police officials in Dubai have warned against wearing a mask that symbolises opposition to state authority during any celebrations connected to National Day and declared it illegal.

Any person found wearing Guy Fawkes masks, also known as ?Vendetta masks?, risks police questioning as any object or action deemed to be instigating unrest or insulting the UAE is illegal, police officials said.
    These masks differ as they are coloured wuth the flag of the United Arab Emirates, with the number 41, referring to the 41st National Day of the country, taking place on December 2nd, marking the anniversary of the country's independence from the United Kingdom.
    A Dubai Police official stressed the negative connotations of the mask. ?Using any symbol that insults the country or instigates unrest against its system is not allowed. We urge citizens to celebrate using other symbols such as national flags, slogans or photos that are more appropriate to the happy occasion of National Day.?
    Remember, Remember, the second of December...

Banned

Wouldn't being banned in one of these bigoted countries be a sign that you're doing something right

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Wouldn't being banned in one of these bigoted countries be a sign that you're doing something right
    I've lived in the UAE for a little over a year now and would t call the country bigoted. They are extremely open culturally for a Muslim country. I've honestly seen less bigotry here than I did living in the states.

That said, they take a firm stand against those who oppose the government. It is not however, the freedom fighters you might imagine that stand against the government here, rather it is more extreme Islamic forces. The borders between here and Oman have become a lot stronger (walls and barbed wire, where before there were just a few adminsitrative buildings and a few police) in the past few months, because of extremist factions. My American passport gets me through the border very quickly however.

@TheGreenDeath-
    Just wanted to say thankyou for posting on this! I knew we had a few folks from the UAE who posted here!
    Ingredients: Spite, Vitriol, Lycanthropy,Mt.dew, Soylent Green, Books,Knitting, Books, Books, Arsenic, Doom, Books, Lead, OMGKITTIES, Peer-Reviewed Journals, Natural Flavor, Artificial Coloring.

Warnings: Keep out of reach of Children.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenDeath View Post
    I've lived in the UAE for a little over a year now and would t call the country bigoted. They are extremely open culturally for a Muslim country. I've honestly seen less bigotry here than I did living in the states.

That said, they take a firm stand against those who oppose the government. It is not however, the freedom fighters you might imagine that stand against the government here, rather it is more extreme Islamic forces. The borders between here and Oman have become a lot stronger (walls and barbed wire, where before there were just a few adminsitrative buildings and a few police) in the past few months, because of extremist factions. My American passport gets me through the border very quickly however.
    Fair enough.

And you're right, bigotry is a common human trait. It just irks me when I see it institutionalized

Out of curiosity - and I'm not trying to start a debate or be disrespectful - but I saw a documentary recently on Saudi Arabia. In which a girl was ostracized and hissed at in the street because she wanted to wear a burqa with a little color in it. The custom being all women must wear all black burqas only. Is the UAE a little more liberal than that?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Fair enough.

And you're right, bigotry is a common human trait. It just irks me when I see it institutionalized

Out of curiosity - and I'm not trying to start a debate or be disrespectful - but I saw a documentary recently on Saudi Arabia. In which a girl was ostracized and hissed at in the street because she wanted to wear a burqa with a little color in it. The custom being all women must wear all black burqas only. Is the UAE a little more liberal than that?
    The UAE is WAAAAAY more liberal than Saudi. Yes, the local women where Burqas and abayas here (though most do not have the full facial covering) but non locals dress more or less as they please. My girlfriend wears tank tops and at first we were always concerned about bringing coverings so as to not be disrespectful but eventually she stopped because no one really cared. The woman who ran the fitness club I taught yoga at always had color on her robes and is pretty western in her language and actions, as are the locals I've taught.

My point about bigotry is that banning the V masks isn't so much an issue of bigotry as it is a suppression of potentially anti-government feelings. I'm not saying suppression is cool, just that it's different than bigotry. Before I moved here I would have questioned the suppression and assumed it bad, but having lived here I understand it more. The UAE is come thing new and cool in regards to being a more westernized Islamic country and I'd hate to see it go the way of Egypt (a more westernized ismalic country taken over by hard liners) and make no mistake if someone overthrew the government here it would not be replaced by something closer to western tastes.

Banned

Good to know. Thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate you sharing that

Captain Cool

Yeah Dubai is legit, I have close friends who live there. This isn't some kind of oppressive stance.

Consultant of Cool

Ever since the ACTA protests, I don't consider the mask a positive symbol. Just me?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenDeath View Post

I appreciate your point about specifically comparing to the US, but it's important to remember that, while it is progressive in certain senses, the UAE also has some fairly repressive laws in place (eg since they use Sharia law as interpreted by religious scholars (!) homosexuality is illegal, possession of codeine can get you jailed, public indecency - including kissing in a public place - can get you jailed if you're not careful) and doesn't have a particularly strong human rights record (though to be fair at least some parts of their government are working on improving this).

In general, I find it quite hard to mesh the concepts of "enacts Sharia law" and "is not bigoted" (on the basis that I lump "giving women fewer legal rights than me" under "bigotry" as well as "felonious bellendery").
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast