Thread: Swipe File: Dork #8 And Rock Thrower

Administrator

Default Swipe File: Dork #8 And Rock Thrower

Yesterday Bleeding Cool told you about a new comic, Rock Thrower, about a Palestinian rock thrower-turned-baseball player. It did have a familiar ring...

From Dork #8 by Evan Dorkin

In Swipe File we present two or more images that resemble each other to some degree. They may be homages, parodies, ironic appropriations, coincidences or works of the lightbox. We trust you, the reader, to make that judgment yourself? If you are unable to do so, please return your eyes to their maker before any further damage is done. The Swipe File doesn?t judge, it?s interested more in the process of creation, how work influences other work, how new work comes from old, and sometimes how the same ideas emerge simultaneously, as if their time has just come. The Swipe File was named after the advertising industry habit where writers and artist?*collect images and lines they admire to inspire them in their work. It was swiped from the Comic Journal who originally ran this column, as well as the now defunct Swipe Of The Week website.

There is a major difference between the two. The scout in "Rock Thrower" is Jewish....

That is a major difference? Obviously the people who made Rock Thrower had to have seen Dork #8 at one time or another. It isn't like superheroes where while they are obviously trying to duplicate Superman but could mix and match any number of mythical or literary elements to change up the character to make it unique. The story in this sounds like a direct riff off the Dork comic. They may have altered the tone and altered the scout character to add another level to him and make him more two dimensional. It still sounds like too specific a type of story that changing one character's background makes it something completely new.
    If the creators claim they came up with such a specific and similar idea out of nowhere, I think they are not being truthful. All the more power to them. I think telling similar stories from different tones and perspectives can lead to powerful tales being made. But it is not an idea they came up with in a vacuum.
    Now how long before Adam Sandler steals the idea for a crappy motion picture?
    Surgeon General Warning! Sigs are bad for your health!

Wrote the Book on Cool zero cool's Avatar

I disagree that its an obviously a swipe, Man Thing - Swamp Thing, X-Men - Doom Patrol, Red Tornado - Vision. This kind of weird synchronicity does happen.

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Quote Originally Posted by zero cool View Post
    I disagree that its an obviously a swipe, Man Thing - Swamp Thing, X-Men - Doom Patrol, Red Tornado - Vision. This kind of weird synchronicity does happen.
    Sure, synchronicity happens -- but always at around the same time. I wish Rich would have made it clear that Dork #8 was published 12 years ago.