Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Comics Or Your Kids

Administrator

Default Your Comics Or Your Kids

Working in the comic industry isn't a walk in the park, but it's even harder when you're trying to break in. However losing custody of your children isn't something anyone would expect.

Alfred Trujillo, artist on a number of Zenescope books,posted on Facebook;
    Last week I lost my kids.

Sunday morning, on the second day of Tucson Comicon, I got an email from my ex-wife with new court orders that followed a hearing we had at the end of October in Mesa. The new orders end the 50/50 parenting time that we previously had and place my two boys, Aric (6) and Jakob (4) solely in her care with me paying $600 in child support and possibly up to the same amount in daycare. This was due to two things:

My choice to be a comic book artist and my choice to live with my long term girlfriend.
    This ruling denied me the opportunity to keep my children out of daycare and keep them in my care which my career would allow. I am being given only the options of 1) giving up my dream and returning to a field of work where I was miserable while never seeing my kids OR 2) move out from the home I made with the woman I love.

Should I be punished for entrepreneurship in the art field, establishing a family and future with an amazing woman, and wanting my boys with me instead of in an expensive and unnecessary daycare?

Please share this if you can. The expenses have been exorbitant and I?m searching all avenues to pay for legal fees and try to get them back. Any support and awareness that can be raised is appreciated.

Consultant of Cool

Courts are so ridiculously behind the times when it comes to custody issues.

We don't live in a world where people can live on a single income anymore, and the "stability" of working for someone else is a thing of the past.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

I would never even consider weighing in on a child-custody legal battle without at the very least hearing from both parties. I'm not sure what the point of this article was, but it's quite disturbing to me that people reading it are supposed to assume that the mother of the children is automatically in the wrong here or being unfair without hearing her side just because the father draws comic books.
    Last edited by Victorian Squid; 11-10-2012 at 07:57 AM.

going by what is written alone does anything about his situation justify taking his kids away? Because I just don't see it

Also I am curious of the mother side of things, an email though probably for the best seems a little callous to me.
    Last edited by Blackfist; 11-10-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Rich, I imagine you might think posting this is in some way helpful, if nothing more than in engendering support and sympathy or support for Mr. Trujillo, but it won't be, perhaps most of all to him. All that's here is one side of the situation, and in that just what he has chosen to share and how he has characterized things. Even if everything he says is completely true and unbiased, it can't possibly begin to reflect the whole reality of the situation.

As a wage-slave divorced single dad of two sons who has paid tens of thousands of dollars over the years in child support to a woman who drives around in Hummer, I'm inclined to be sympathetic to him. But if he doesn't have someone (read: an attorney) telling him in brutal honesty the realities of family court and child support, he needs to wise up. And to remember that the top priority has to be his kids and his relationship with them, even if it means bring wronged in other areas of his life. In the end, he has to really decide whether the kids are more important than his job and his other relationships--it may not seem fair, it may not even actually be fair, but welcome to Earth.

To the artist: Dude, part of this whole process is dealing with all the emotions and yes, letting that out in whatever way, be it in a scream, a whimper, punching a hole in a wall (NOT AROUND THE KIDS, their Mom will hear about it) or just curling up fetal and whining for a while is all understandable. Doing it in public, though, isn't good for anyone including you. You're only giving ammunition to your opponent, in a fight that's institutionally stacked against you anyway. Play smart. Play defense.
    Last edited by Mark H; 11-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Dean of Cool University Acrid_Gunsmoke's Avatar

This is why I won't ever have kids. Custody battles get so vindictive. Both sides lose track of what's best for the kid in their hatred for each other caused by years of legal torment.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Acrid_Gunsmoke View Post
    This is why I won't ever have kids. Custody battles get so vindictive. Both sides lose track of what's best for the kid in their hatred for each other caused by years of legal torment.
    And there's no way here for any of us to have any idea what might be better or best for those kids.

I think (and no this isn't a profound thought by any measure) it's lamentable that so many people marry, have kids, and end up divorced and in an acrimonious legal battle before their kids are even old enough to be in school.

I wonder what the other side of this is. I know that in my home state, changing a custody arrangement is very hard to do if both parties are not in agreement.

I would tend to expect this is more about 'you're self-employed with no guaranteed regular income' than 'OMG you draw comics!'

Going public and pretty much asking for '$upport'? Not terribly cool...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian Squid View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of this article was, but it's quite disturbing to me that people reading it are supposed to assume that the mother of the children is automatically in the wrong here or being unfair without hearing her side just because the father draws comic books.
    Did you read it? The dude asks for it to be reposted. Within the context of his statement. He asks for people to repost it. So here it is, being reposted, mystery solved.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast