Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60

Thread: Your Comics Or Your Kids

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    And if you and your partner can't agree on how best to fulfill them, society will decide.
    And that's where I disagree. Barring, as I said, abuse or endangerment, society ought to have no right to take a child away from either parent. That's how it's been for most of human history; thinking otherwise is a relatively recent development, and we'll probably have to wait several more decades to see the full effect on society, of these moves to undermine the primacy of the family unit.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

    Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

    Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

    Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

  2. #42
    Bleeding Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    And that's where I disagree. Barring, as I said, abuse or endangerment, society ought to have no right to take a child away from either parent. That's how it's been for most of human history; thinking otherwise is a relatively recent development, and we'll probably have to wait several more decades to see the full effect on society, of these moves to undermine the primacy of the family unit.
    And what other reasons do you thing society currently uses to remove a child? Not saying they're perfect, and mistakes do happen, but abuse or endangerment are generally the only reasons a child is removed. As a non-custodial parent, I can assure you my child has not been removed from me, though he is only physically capable of living with one of us, especially since his mother and I live in different states.

  3. #43

    Default

    To me, anything less than equal custody, if not agreed to by both parties, IS taking away the child from one parent. And it does happen, that courts think they can decide who will be the "better" parent even if abuse/endangerment is not involved.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

    Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

    Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

    Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

  4. #44
    Bleeding Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    To me, anything less than equal custody, if not agreed to by both parties, IS taking away the child from one parent. And it does happen, that courts think they can decide who will be the "better" parent even if abuse/endangerment is not involved.
    And the only reason that happens is if the parents are fighting over it. Aside from legally actionable situations (abuse or endangerment) the courts don't decide unless one or both parents request it. If the parents choose joint custody, thr result is joint custody.

  5. #45
    King of Cool Peter J Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Falkirk, Scotland, in a United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    And the only reason that happens is if the parents are fighting over it. Aside from legally actionable situations (abuse or endangerment) the courts don't decide unless one or both parents request it. If the parents choose joint custody, thr result is joint custody.
    This.

    Society only gets involved when the parents can not work it out themselves. Because it is in society's best interests that the next generation be well brought up. Whatever that means in each society.

    Astonishingly, it sometimes actually does 'take a whole village...'

    So hardly a new idea.

    Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    And the only reason that happens is if the parents are fighting over it. Aside from legally actionable situations (abuse or endangerment) the courts don't decide unless one or both parents request it.
    It shouldn't be done unless BOTH request it.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

    Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

    Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

    Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

  7. #47
    Bleeding Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    It shouldn't be done unless BOTH request it.
    And how do you expect that to work? What should be done if the two can't agree? What you're demanding is physically impossible. If the parents are fighting and can't agree then they are fighting and can't agree. By definition, no results and not good for the kid.

  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    And how do you expect that to work? What should be done if the two can't agree? What you're demanding is physically impossible. If the parents are fighting and can't agree then they are fighting and can't agree. By definition, no results and not good for the kid.
    It's not complicated; if the law says both parents are entitled to equal rights, then both parents must respect that. If one spouse decides to divorce the other, they are still both entitled to be as involved with the kid's life as they choose. Equal custody arrangements are worked out all the time; I'm just saying anything else should not be an option except in cases of abuse/endangerment.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

    Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

    Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

    Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

  9. #49
    Dean of Cool University
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    It's not complicated; if the law says both parents are entitled to equal rights, then both parents must respect that. If one spouse decides to divorce the other, they are still both entitled to be as involved with the kid's life as they choose. Equal custody arrangements are worked out all the time; I'm just saying anything else should not be an option except in cases of abuse/endangerment.
    Stefan, when a couple with kids breaks up... Whose rights do you believe are most important? The parents'? Or the kids'?

  10. #50
    Bleeding Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    It's not complicated; if the law says both parents are entitled to equal rights, then both parents must respect that. If one spouse decides to divorce the other, they are still both entitled to be as involved with the kid's life as they choose. Equal custody arrangements are worked out all the time; I'm just saying anything else should not be an option except in cases of abuse/endangerment.
    It is complicated because you're dealing with human beings. People, in general, do not do a thing simply because a law say they do. A child of divorced or otherwise not together parents physically cannot live in both homes at the same time. That isn't philosophy or theory or anything else. It is practical reality. Yes, equal custody arrangements are worked out all of the time - I already said as much - but what do you expect to happen when they are not? When two parents cannot come to agreement on something as relatively simple as living arrangements, how do you expect the situation to be solved?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •