Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: October 2012 Comics And Graphic Novel Sales Break Records

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Yes, because fans don't buy variants and comic shops always order things they know people don't want.
    I think he was referring to stacks of unsold copies, bought by shops just to get a rare variant. For example, I went in a shop this week, they had at least 10 to 20 copies of Uncanny Avengers still sitting on shelves, and they had a bunch of unsold variants. Multiply this by comic shops all over the U.S. Add to that things like:

225 copies of Uncanny Avengers 1 First Print Marvel Now 1st Printing | eBay

Uncanny Avengers 1 20 copies $1 50 Each | eBay

Uncanny Avengers 1 Set Lot of 25 NM copies Marvel Comics x Men | eBay

Uncanny Avengers 1 Lot Set of 20 copies Regular Issue | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulk-lot-of-...item416e13014d

and it gives you a better picture of the overall sales numbers

Now you can blame the retailers for this - but it does not change the fact that that has a pretty big affect on the big sales numbers that we're celebrating over
    Last edited by DarthEwok; 11-11-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    I think he was referring to stacks of unsold copies, bought by shops just to get a rare variant. For example, I went in a shop this week, they had at least 10 to 20 copies of Uncanny Avengers still sitting on shelves, and they had a bunch of unsold variants. Multiply this by comic shops all over the U.S. Add to that things like:

225 copies of Uncanny Avengers 1 First Print Marvel Now 1st Printing | eBay

Uncanny Avengers 1 20 copies $1 50 Each | eBay

Uncanny Avengers 1 Lot Set of 20 copies Regular Issue | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulk-lot-of-...item416e13014d

and it gives you a better picture of the overall sales numbers

Now you can blame the retailers for this - but it does not change the fact that that has a pretty big affect on the big sales numbers that we're celebrating over
    But they buy those extra copies to get the incentive variants presumably because their customers want them. It's up to them to decide if it's better to get the variant to sell or just order a reasonable amount and not be left with so much overstock. Assuming they're not fools, they decided they could make more with the variants.

Banned

But they buy those extra copies to get the incentive variants presumably because their customers want them. It's up to them to decide if it's better to get the variant to sell or just order a reasonable amount and not be left with so much overstock. Assuming they're not fools, they decided they could make more with the variants.
    Yep. Blame the retailer. I'm sure all those unsold copies don't get counted toward the sales numbers quoted this article, and are therefore irrelevant to the conversation

Yep. Blame the retailer. I'm sure all those unsold copies don't get counted toward the sales numbers quoted this article, and are therefore irrelevant to the conversation
    They get counted, but since they're legitimately ordered and, again, have made the retailer the money they expected via the sold variants, I don't see what the problem is.

I don't see where anyone has been blamed for anything.

Banned

They get counted, but since they're legitimately ordered and, again, have made the retailer the money they expected via the sold variants, I don't see what the problem is.

I don't see where anyone has been blamed for anything.
    I'd argue that, based on what I witnessed personally at that local shop, that even trying to estimate who will buy the variants is an inexact science. So, in the case of that shop, they not only got stuck with multiple regular covers, they got stuck with some variants that they cannot sell

But that is a little off-topic. I was merely trying to give detail to BladeX's possible point about sales numbers getting inflated because of variants - which they absolutely and unequivocally do

To offer an analogy - only in the comics biz could you sell tickets to a movie, and take credit for selling tickets to the unfilled seats

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

To offer an analogy - only in the comics biz could you sell tickets to a movie, and take credit for selling tickets to the unfilled seats
    B-I-N-G-O. Uncanny Avengers #1 is destined for the quarter bins alongside still unread copies of Jim Lee's X-Men #1 from the 1990s.

Where they will sit. And sit. And sit...
    Last edited by Mike H.; 11-11-2012 at 02:08 PM.

If I were retailer i would not over order to get a varaint....

Captain Cool

So, a retailer can't just order for the variants that customers have, in advance, verbalized an interest in buying at a price that would turn the store a profit? Or is that sort of thinking just not realistic?

Meh, it's an inexact science, but then it always was! I't's probably more exact than 10 years ago. Hell in the pre direct market days, when they were just shipped off to news stands, how exact are the numbers for back then?
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12