Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did China Mieville Have A Little Dig At Alan Moore?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Yeah, the top page above is so poorly-written that it is hard to tell if they are trying to get in a dig at somebody
    Agreed. It's so overwrought and PC, it's embarrassing.

If I'd seen this page before I went out to get my comics an hour ago, I would have left this one on the shelf.

Edit: Actually, in addition to the above, it's also hamfisted and clunky. That's my major beef with it. I would expect much better from a writer with the reputation of Mieville.
    Last edited by paulski; 11-08-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CBattles6 View Post
    If it's intended, Jeff Lemire should take notice—this is how you take a clever, subtle pot-shot at someone.
    As opposed to Rich's made up speculation about Lemire's plot-shot. Yeah, that makes sense.

Well the year the lady mentions is the year the comic came out, and the characters seem to be saying things that are quite specific as a veiled criticism but don't really work as ordinary dialogue. And honestly, I know many people find them very offensive, but golliwogs are not nearly as shocking as Doctor Cloaca or Captain Priapus must be, and even that Indian chief must come close. So to get super-offended about one bad thing and just be kind of embarrassed about the others, is either bad writing or something deeper. I think Rich is onto something.
    Last edited by SimonJ; 11-08-2012 at 10:52 PM.

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Quote Originally Posted by barbabravo View Post
    I don't see it either. I was fucking astounded to see a golliwog hanging from someone's rear view mirror recently though, I haven't seen one in real life since they were still on marmalade jars.
    I never knew about them at all until a few years ago but I grew up in the Deep South in the US. A lot of the people there had "lawn jockey" statues. There seem to be fewer with each passing year whenever I visit that part of the country, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfist View Post
    Golliwog's are awesome i don't care what anyone says
    Mate, if we ever catch up at a con or anything else, i am shouting "Golliwog" really loud and running over for a hug. Just to see what the room does!
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

How times have changed. I remember very well when I was a kid, my parents would cut out the tokens on the back of the Robertson's Golden Shred marmalade jars. I think you had to collect about 8 and send them off for enamel badges of a range of 'Golliwogs'. Then you could turn on the telly to watch the Black And White Minstrel Show on the BBC. I imagine that's what this scene is having a dig at - our great British cultural heritage.

VP in Charge of Cool betty boolean's Avatar

Anyhow its Gally Wag and hes from a dark matter universe so there.
    “Everything in life is just for a while.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

--------------------------------

"DC comics are for ☛□☚'s"

"Batman Eternal my @¬$£"

"Marvel Essential collections make great colouring books"
    --Betty Boolean

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CBattles6 View Post
    If it's intended, Jeff Lemire should take notice—this is how you take a clever, subtle pot-shot at someone.
    No, it really isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    Mate, if we ever catch up at a con or anything else, i am shouting "Golliwog" really loud and running over for a hug. Just to see what the room does!
    and i'll hug back
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

On a slightly different note, are Mieville's books worth reading? A friend recommended him to me a few months ago, but I'm always hesitant when people recommend novels or music to me. Films, TV and comics don't seem to be too too much of an issue, but friends seem to have the uncanny ability to recommend books and records to me that at best do nothing for me (and at worst... well, let's not go there).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast