Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Six Reasons Why A Paper Magazine Is Better Than An iPad Version

Consultant of Cool

Absurd.

No comic produced within the last ten years will ever sell for anything within a hundred miles of 2.1 million. Occasionally a collector might hit big with a Chew #1 but all in all, 99.999999% of comic collections featuring comics produced since 1990 aren't worth (incl inflation/opportunity cost) what they paid for them.

Also, the paper magazine has the same content as the digital magazine so the idea that the date produced of the content matters in one medium vs another is just silly.

I am also bemused the author didn't include the two biggest reasons to read paper

1) Nobody can take back your physical copy unlike digital where the publisher/vendor can likely decide to erase/edit or disable access to your purchased content anytime they like.

2) You can lend or give away a physical copy.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AGH View Post
    Absurd.

No comic produced within the last ten years will ever sell for anything within a hundred miles of 2.1 million. Occasionally a collector might hit big with a Chew #1 but all in all, 99.999999% of comic collections featuring comics produced since 1990 aren't worth (incl inflation/opportunity cost) what they paid for them.

Also, the paper magazine has the same content as the digital magazine so the idea that the date produced of the content matters in one medium vs another is just silly.

I am also bemused the author didn't include the two biggest reasons to read paper

1) Nobody can take back your physical copy unlike digital where the publisher/vendor can likely decide to erase/edit or disable access to your purchased content anytime they like.

2) You can lend or give away a physical copy.
    Potentially 2 might conflict with 1 depending on your friends....

Quote Originally Posted by BC Blog Poster View Post

3. Places you can't read an iPad magazine but where you can read an ink on dead tree magazine
    • Bath
    • Football match
    • Beach
    • Ten minutes during take off and landing
    • Drug fiend hangouts
    • Edge of the swimming pool
    • Whilst painting the ceiling
    • I would have said toilet, but a lot of my friends tell me no
    [B]4. A magazine helps me focus[/I]
    I don't know about the rest of you, but there is no way in hell I am ever gonna read my comics in the BATH( comics near bath water?), at a FOOTBALL MATCH ( if I go to a game, it's to watch the game), EDGE OF A SWIMMING POOL (and get my comics all wet by all the splashing? No thank you), DRUG FIEND HANGOUTS(really?), yes, anytime I've ever PAINTED A CEILING I do so with one hand while reading a comic/ magazine with the other.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Ipad?
    Only retards buy overpriced apple. And starbucks costumers.
    SANDMAN. ugh. I'd rather read a LIEFIELD comic.

Consultant of Cool

Default I am completely digital now

Other than a few HC's (mostly absolute editions), I am completely digital now. I read Wired Magazine monthly digitally (and I read it as a magazine rather than on the web because I like the layout). Frankly, I prefer the layout of Wired Magazine on the iPad over the print version, not the least of which is because of the videos that are peppered throughout the iPad version.

I buy Computer Arts, ImagineFX, and .NET magazine digitally. These magazines cost $20.00 to get in Canada. Digitally they cost me $6.99.

I buy all of my books on Kindle (although I refuse to pay more than $10.00 on a book, so if it comes out for more than that, I simply wait).

I buy 90% of my comics digitally because space is at a premium for me. I have approximately 25' x 20' of free space in my house, and I can't justify giving that space up to comics when it's needed for more important storage things. The garage is not an option since it's not climate controlled.

The ONLY time I prefer physical over digital is when I'm doing woodworking, but then I just print out what I need on paper and take that with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mckracken View Post
    Ipad?
    Thank you for reminding me why I never go on message boards.

Wrote the Book on Cool

huh? 7 posts???!! HAW HAW HAW.
    SANDMAN. ugh. I'd rather read a LIEFIELD comic.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by mckracken View Post
    Ipad?
    I am offended by this statement! Starbucks customers are just as stupid as apple consumers. Well really more so but you get my point

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by justinpeterson View Post
    Sure, maybe all of those things are true... but also true are these reasons why you SHOULD read stuff on your iPad:

No more longboxes in the garage collecting dust.

No more worrying about damage (water, heat, whatever) to those piles and piles of books.

You can have your whole collection of comics at your finger-tips, wherever and whenever you want.

Save on gas.

Save paper.

Save plastic (bags and boards).

Never having to worry that a comic is out of stock.

No more "comic shop missed their shipment, so I have to wait a week or two" for your books.

Highest quality comic available, much higher quality than that of a printed book.

And on... and on... and on.
    I Dont think Digital brings the best quality , some books to do not thrive in a ipad.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Carmona View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but there is no way in hell I am ever gonna read my comics in the BATH( comics near bath water?), at a FOOTBALL MATCH ( if I go to a game, it's to watch the game), EDGE OF A SWIMMING POOL (and get my comics all wet by all the splashing? No thank you), DRUG FIEND HANGOUTS(really?), yes, anytime I've ever PAINTED A CEILING I do so with one hand while reading a comic/ magazine with the other.
    Seriously. I take my ipad to the beach . Yes im going hang out with crack heads hmm.. They will probably steal my wallet before they steal my ipad...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast