Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Keeping Your ComiXology Comics (UPDATE)

VP in Charge of Cool FunkyGreenJerusalem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Yes, I know. Which is ANOTHER reason why it won't take off.
    As has been pointed out, it's a multi-million dollar business already, but other than that I was just wondering, do you use Comixology or another digital service?
    Because not being able to have a personal copy (itunes style), and some of the companies not quite understanding that full cover price hurts rather than helps the bottom line, really just feel like teething problems, to something that is a pretty damn good system as is.
    There's a few things I'd change - like giving user more control in sorting their collection, but other than things like that, I'm not sure how one would make a better service.

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    A key reason why I dont buy digtial comics . With printed
    Comics the only way you can lose your comics if your house burns down . With digitally if your computer or iPad or iPhone breaks your screwed.
    Or a flood. I lost about 25 years worth of comics in 2010. At least with digital, I have multiple devices for storage.

VP in Charge of Cool FunkyGreenJerusalem's Avatar

With digitally if your computer or iPad or iPhone breaks your screwed.
    Until you switch to another one, and download them again.
    Something you can't do if your house burns down.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfist View Post
    ...You're not Native American
    ...Neither is Ed Ames. Although this clip might have you thinking otherwise:

[quick youtube search]

...Dammit! That clip's been purged. Fucking DMCA catamites strike again. Oh well, here's a site that has the clip in question:

Johnny Carson - The knack of tomahawk throwing
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post
    Until you switch to another one, and download them again.
    Something you can't do if your house burns down.
    Oh. Good point ...can your account get hacked?

Bleeding Cool

Oh. Good point ...can your account get hacked?
    Sure...but your place can get robbed, too. Of course, I don't think they'd abscond with your long boxes, so...

Quote Originally Posted by MicroZone View Post
    the other option is to buy paper/digital copies and then download the existing CBR files for your own storage. (Lawsuits against this have already been won in favor of customers being allowed to keep digital copies of material they already own.) Comics are generally only 15-30mb each, depending on the scan quality. It'd take several complete runs of 50-70 year old titles to even come close to filling up a TB hard drive.

I can see the resistance to digital comics on a computer or phone, but with tablets becoming more popular, a 10" tablet is nearly 1:1 scale for a full page comic book. If you have an Android tablet with a microSD card (Samsung was notorious for NOT including SD slots) you can load up several thousand onto a 32GB memory card. If you have an iPad snap up Bookman. It's layout is nearly identical to iBooks and works just as well. Android is a bit tougher. It's best CBR/CBZ reader is ComicRack, which runs $8 now, which is rather high for a mobile app that doesn't work as well as the free one for the iPad. If you have the desktop version of ComicRack, you can sync tablet & PC over your home wifi network. A nice feature unless you have a low-powered PC or laptop. CR for the PC is rather slow if you do.
    Like, but I have to let you know that PerfectViewer is by far and a way the best solution on Android devices.
    It's free.
    It's *basically* the same as CBReader from PCs, and is simple as all hell.

I've donated.

Here's the Marketplace link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ctviewer&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by bewareofgeek View Post
    Or a flood. I lost about 25 years worth of comics in 2010. At least with digital, I have multiple devices for storage.
    Hard drives love water, too ...

VP in Charge of Cool

And redundant cloud storage is relatively cheap, no excuses for a poor backup policy

You know *why* Comixology has DRM? Because it makes it an easier sell to publishers who actually still think it's going to be beneficial to them. If it meant they'd sell more comics you can guarantee they'd switch it off.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456