Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swipe File: Nathan Never And All Star Batman

Administrator

Default Swipe File: Nathan Never And All Star Batman

We ran a piece on Nathan Never artist Paola Di Clement's swipes from Jim Lee's Batman: Hush. Well, it appears to go a little deeper than that. Thanks to Batman Fansite and House Of Mystery for the following swipe files between Jim Lee's Batman And Robin The Boy Wonder and his Nathan Never...

In Swipe File we present two or more images that resemble each other to some degree. They may be homages, parodies, ironic appropriations, coincidences or works of the lightbox. We trust you, the reader, to make that judgment yourself. If you are unable to do so, please return your eyes to their maker before any further damage is done. The Swipe File doesn?t judge, it?s interested more in the process of creation, how work influences other work, how new work comes from old, and sometimes how the same ideas emerge simultaneously, as if their time has just come. The Swipe File was named after the advertising industry habit where writers and artist collect images and lines they admire to inspire them in their work. It was swiped from the Comic Journal who originally ran this column, as well as the now defunct Swipe Of The Week website.

Exceedingly Cool uncaringmachine's Avatar

That is INSANE. How has this guy not been sued?

that's shameful not one not 2 but several! I don't care how crappy ASBAR is, this is bad.
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

If that is not a swipe I am not sure what would be.
    ComicBookRealm.com - We already pay too much for comics...why pay to keep track of them?

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by uncaringmachine View Post
    That is INSANE. How has this guy not been sued?
    Because, in many cases, it's not a lightboxing, but using poses/positions/inspiration. Some do look like actual trace jobs, though, they're so close.

Quote Originally Posted by khuxford View Post
    Because, in many cases, it's not a lightboxing, but using poses/positions/inspiration.
    Yes, he can clearly draw as not every image is a direct trace, so I don't understand why he didn't just draw them - if he needed help with poses and getting anatomy right he could have taken some reference photographs. So what is it? Is he not able to compose a panel for the best impact? Because if so I'd imagine you'd get better with practice. If it was a time thing just snapping a few photographs and lightboxing them can't take that much more out of your day than thumbing through a trade looking for the right panel. I just don't really understand the sheer level of swipery.
    if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Tumblr | Fractal Friction | Google+

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Yes, he can clearly draw as not every image is a direct trace, so I don't understand why he didn't just draw them - if he needed help with poses and getting anatomy right he could have taken some reference photographs. So what is it? Is he not able to compose a panel for the best impact? Because if so I'd imagine you'd get better with practice. If it was a time thing just snapping a few photographs and lightboxing them can't take that much more out of your day than thumbing through a trade looking for the right panel. I just don't really understand the sheer level of swipery.
    Snapping the photographs assumes the equipment, talent and models to do so. Not making excuses for the guy, just explaining why the temptation to use shortcuts might have been even stronger.

VP in Charge of Cool Enigma_2099's Avatar

Nothing wrong with using other people's art for reference. I do it all the time...

... that's NOT what he did. He flat out copied Jim's s***...
    ~Hah... HAH, I SAY!!! The only way I'll even start to believe any attempt that he makes to pay what he owes is sincere and genuine is if he pawns the damn Porsche and uses that as collateral.

This is like me shooting a baby in the head, and trying to sound all repentative pleading my case, WHILE CHEWING ON IT'S CORPSE.~

My opinion of Pat Lee.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Looking at this, you see that the guy can draw and clearly not all of this is a simplle copy. There are a lot of panels where, without seeing the evidence, I wouldn't think this was "inspired" by Jim Lee's artwork.

The question is, why go so far and copy so much of Jim's work, when you can draw yourself? Getting inspiration is fine and well, and if this was one or two panels, I think no one would have a problem with this, but that is taking it too far.

On the other hand, if I was Jim Lee, I couldn't care less about this. I mean really, what's it to him if some italian artist on an italian comic copies some of his art?

If he sold the stuff as posters or as paintings it would be different, but like this... I wouldn't care.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Zen Master of Cool The Valeyard's Avatar

Somewhere... Bob Kane approves.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast