Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Up With DC Comics, ComiXology And The Kindle?

Administrator

Default What's Up With DC Comics, ComiXology And The Kindle?

"Currently, DC Comics are no longer available for purchase on our Fire app." -?* ComiXology representative to a Bleeding Cool reader
    After making such a furore by signing their most popular hundred graphic novels exclusively to the Kindle Fire last year, and seeing Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million boycott those titles in protest, you'd have thought that DC and Amazon Kindle were tight as could be.

It appears not. DC Comics can no longer be found in the Kindle Fire ComiXology store... and may not have been since November last. You can still buy them on ComiXology through your PC and then sync them over, but you can't find them anywhere in the Kindle version of the app. The DC section of ComiXology has been removed completely.

DC have not responded to inquiries. ComiXology only give the line "ComiXology readers can continue to access DC Comics that are in their My Comics library. Plus, comiXology on the Kindle Fire syncs libraries from any part of the ComiXology platform, so DC readers can access comics purchased through the web."

Basically, there's a workaround. But something seems to have happened between Amazon Kindle, DC and ComiXology, and after spending a couple of months trying to find out what, no one's talking right now.

Or rather Amazon reps say they don't know, ComiXology says they can't say and DC Comics doesn't say anything at all.

Pre-emptive fallout from the DoJ/Apple/e-book publishing sh!tstorm?

Nah, that's probably reaching... though I do wonder what ripples comics might see...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Digital Comics are the devil so I dont mind.

Zen Master of Cool

It's weird stuff like this that's hurting the industry more than some vague notion about the lack of "new ideas".
    Superfictious - Read super fiction, metafiction, and flash fiction from the original physicist fictionist.

I've been wondering about this for months! The first three months of the New 52 (or was it four months?) it worked fine. Then it stopped updating new issues on the Fire app, and I guess now you can't even buy the old issues on the app.

It wasn't just DC and Amazon that were close, ComiXology made a huge deal about the ComiXology app being on the Kindle Fire, and implied that it would ship with the ComiXology app pre-installed. (It didn't.) I wonder if Amazon is pushing DC to drive customers to the Kindle edition graphic novels that were the content of the exclusive deal they had. Maybe they even want to sell DC comics directly from the Kindle store. I can understand why they wouldn't be talking about that until something is set up.

I buy all my comics digitally. I love my FLCBS and want to support them, but it's just too far away for me to get to regularly. Lately I've just been reading them on my laptop instead of my Kindle Fire.

Dean of Cool University Drew Melbourne's Avatar

As I mentioned on a previous thread, it's often easier to buy your comics on the website and then just to download them to your device once they're bought. (That's what I do with my iPad, although I haven't quite mastered this technique with my new Android phone.)

I suspect that this is a case where Amazon and DC structured a deal based on how many GNs they thought they'd move, and this was an attempt to goose those sales. Though I would not at all be surprised if we see a separate Amazon Comics storefront for singles based on the Amazon GN format sometime soon.

The big obstacle that digital comics have is the feeling that they're transient. I either want Comixology to get a stranglehold on the sector, so that everything's in the one format, or I want someone to develop and popularize a standard format that can be supported, Blu-Ray style, across all vendors.

(That said, I don't care that much about holding on to most comics -- digital or print -- which is why I bin a lot of my print comics when I'm done reading them.)

I have seen ALOT of DC graphic novels back in the Union Square Barnes and Noble store in NYC. They had Watchmen and some Batman titles to name but a few. I was surprised to see them. Last I heard, they were all pulled due to an Amazon/B&N war over DC and Marvel content. Don't know if DC material is available yet on the Nook. Would be nice to be able to read Batman and Spiderman stuff on the same device once and for all (for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    As I mentioned on a previous thread, it's often easier to buy your comics on the website and then just to download them to your device once they're bought. (That's what I do with my iPad, although I haven't quite mastered this technique with my new Android phone.)
    I'm going to have to try this. I was planning on reading Ann Nocenti's Green Arrow run digitally, but like Rithmomachy I couldn't find any issues past #4. I'm in the process of moving (and transitioning to TPBs in general) so I'm trying to cut back on single issues.

It's really irritating because I waited to buy an e-reader until they were available in color, and with DC's Kindle Fire deal and their day/date digital DCnU promises, I bought a Kindle fire thinking it would be the best bet without having to get an iPad. The fact that something has gotten lost in the tubes was kind of pissing me off (but the streaming Chappelle's Show with Amazon Prime helps make up for it )
    My Blog: Ladies Making Comics
    My History Nerdery: Women in Comics Wiki

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if this DID have something to do with the "DoJ/Apple/e-book publishing sh!tstorm."

DC and Comixology have a vested interest in making sure that Amazon isn't exerting undue influence over their publishing model--which is what Amazon is currently doing with other major publishing houses by selling books at below cost to undercut other sellers, retailers and e-readers. Then once they've created user dependency and eliminated competition, Amazon can turn around and dictate terms to publishers that are favorable to Amazon and unfavorable to everyone else (including the publishers and the readers).

If DC and Comixology are refusing to play this game, hats off to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lashina View Post
    Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if this DID have something to do with the "DoJ/Apple/e-book publishing sh!tstorm."

DC and Comixology have a vested interest in making sure that Amazon isn't exerting undue influence over their publishing model--which is what Amazon is currently doing with other major publishing houses by selling books at below cost to undercut other sellers, retailers and e-readers. Then once they've created user dependency and eliminated competition, Amazon can turn around and dictate terms to publishers that are favorable to Amazon and unfavorable to everyone else (including the publishers and the readers).

If DC and Comixology are refusing to play this game, hats off to them.
    Urrr... six and two threes, the thrust of the DoJ case seems to be that Apple and 5 major publishers were conspiring to keep e-book prices up after Amazon started passing digital economic savings on to customers, going for market share over unit profits. Saying what they'd do further down the line is hypothetical at least...

DC are - presumably - a sock-puppet for Warner on this front anyway, though Warner don't seem to have a dog in the e-book fight...

So they might just want to hold off on dropping costs and pissing off the LCS/DM side of things...

Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps.

Like I said, I think it might be premature to read too many links in at this stage. Though that might change.

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter J Poole; 04-12-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast